[net.periphs] RA-82

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (07/09/86)

From: Bob Sutterfield <bob>

I have heard rumors of new DEC storage devices called the RA-82 and RA-83.
The context of the reference implied that everybody who is anybody is
already using the RA-82, and that the RA-83 was almost a product.

(RA-82 is probably an 8-inch 600+ Mb device, while RA-83 is probably a
5.25-inch ~400 Mb critter so that two can be mounted side-by-each in a
single rack space.  Both are "DSA" devices, which means they speak MSCP to
the {UDA,KDA,KDB}-50, as well as the HSC-{5,7}0.)

Is either of these devices a "real" DEC product?  Are they in beta-test now?
If they are real, can anybody tell me where to get real information about
it?  Digital's Electronic Store has no information about them at all, but
that's not surprising :-)  Thanks for any pointers.
-----
Human: Bob Sutterfield
 Mail: bob%osuag.uucp@ohio-state.arpa	or: bob@ohio-state.arpa
   or: ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!osuag!bob	or: ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!bob

The RA82 is a gigabyte-plus RA81 derivative, I believe.  Rumor hath it
that the RA82 would be shipping in volume were it not that all the HDAs
(Head-Disk Assemblies) are going to replace RA81 HDAs which are failing
because of the glue problem.  (The RA81 HDAs were assembled using a glue
which turns out to deteriorate and flake, which is exceedingly bad news
for disk drives!)

Some of our local comp-center Unix people, who used to scream "NO DZ'S!!"
at their hardware buyers, are now screaming "NO DEC DISKS!!" as well.
--
Usenet(n): AT&T scheme to earn
revenue from otherwise-unused	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

jim@strath-cs.UUCP (07/11/86)

In article <2050@osu-eddie.UUCP> bob@osu-eddie.UUCP writes:
>From: Bob Sutterfield <bob>
>
>I have heard rumors of new DEC storage devices called the RA-82 and RA-83.
>The context of the reference implied that everybody who is anybody is
>already using the RA-82, and that the RA-83 was almost a product.

About a year ago our DEC engineer claimed that DEC were about to announce
the RA82. He said it would be the same physical size as an RA81, but with
twice the storage capacity. (This it was claimed was because the heads sat
on the disk platters and the bit density could be increased by a factor of
two.)

So far, I've seen nothing about this device. [Not that I'd want one anyway.]
Perhaps this should have gone to net.rumor?

		Jim

ARPA:	jim%cs.strath.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa, jim@cs.strath.ac.uk
UUCP:	jim@strath-cs.uucp, ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!jim
JANET:	jim@uk.ac.strath.cs

"JANET domain ordering is swapped around so's there'd be some use for rev(1)!"

chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (07/14/86)

In article <212@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>About a year ago our DEC engineer claimed that DEC were about to announce
>the RA82. He said it would be the same physical size as an RA81, but with
>twice the storage capacity.

The latest rumour I heard claimed that DEC were unable to achieve
a full doubling of the capacity, and that the RA82 was to run
between six and seven hundred megabytes formatted.  I would much
rather see an upgrade for the RA81 that eliminated the head-switch
delay instead.  It really should not be so difficult to use fourteen
read/write amplifiers and no analog switch . . . !

[Disclaimer: I do not *know* that the thing has only one r/w amp,
but why else the 6 ms. head switch delay?]
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris