[net.periphs] Terminal Wanted

chuckp@pwcs.UUCP (chuckp) (07/22/86)

     We are looking for a good computer terminal with an amber display
and operating function of full range of VT-220.  Compatibility:  ansi
X3.64., DEC VT-220, VT-100, VT-52.  We require a good inverse video.
     We currently use Wyse 85 terminals but the power supply has been
failing and the <esc> key is inconveniently located.  We have also
used the Televideo 9220, which had a good keyboard layout, but
the keyboard quality was inferior and the inverse video was
poor.
     If anyone knows of any good terminals and where they can be
purchased, we would appreciate hearing from you.  Thank you.

Please respond to chuckp@pwcs

--
Disclaimer:

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (07/28/86)

In article <201@pwcs.UUCP> chuckp@pwcs.UUCP () writes:
>     We are looking for a good computer terminal with an amber display
>and operating function of full range of VT-220.  Compatibility:  ansi
>X3.64., DEC VT-220, VT-100, VT-52.  We require a good inverse video.

Check out the AT&T 610.  I have only seen one in a demo, and haven't
actually sat down in front of one to do real work, but I was very
impressed with what I saw.  The keyboard had a reasonable layout
(although you can also get it with the UNIX PC keyboard if you want)
and the feel of the UNIX PC (very good.)  I understand it's a replacement
for the AT&T 4425 (nee Teletype 5425) which is VT100 compatible with
the extra features you would expect from a good ANSI 3.64 terminal
(insert/delete line/char, etc.)  Apparently the cost is also very
reasonable - I don't know what it lists for, but it's less than the 4425.
I'd guess you can get one with an internal 1200/300 baud modem for
under $1000 list.

Disclaimer: I work for AT&T, but do not benefit if the 610 sells more.

	Mark

stan@amc.UUCP (Stan Tazuma) (08/01/86)

In article <201@pwcs.UUCP> chuckp@pwcs.UUCP () writes:

>     We are looking for a good computer terminal with an amber display
>and operating function of full range of VT-220.  Compatibility:  ansi
>X3.64., DEC VT-220, VT-100, VT-52.  We require a good inverse video.
>     If anyone knows of any good terminals and where they can be
>purchased, we would appreciate hearing from you.  Thank you.

I would recommend the CIT50+ terminal made by CIE Terminals (used
to be named C.Itoh).  They are not VT-220 compatible, but are VT100
and VT52 compatible.  They are even DEC VT102 compatible, which
means that they have all VT100 features plus insert/delete line,
insert/delete character, blink/bold video attributes, plus a few
others.

You might ask yourself whether you need a VT-220 compatible.  We
looked at several.  We found we didn't need any of the special
foreign language features of the 220.  Also, a true 220 compatible has the
ESCape key way off in right field (up on the top row of function
keys), as well as the < and > on a single key just to the left of
the 'z' key.  The , and . keys are , and . both shifted and unshifted
(just like typewriters (at least most I've used)).

CIE also makes a 220 compatible, model CIT224.

Here are some more features:
	- dual bi-directional ports (can have
	  2 computers hooked up to your terminal and switch between them with
	  a couple of key strokes, or can re-route data between the two ports
	  so it could act like a printer port--total flexibility).
	- EXCEPTIONAL video quality, very legible characters,
	  scan lines are minimally noticeable
	- available in amber and green (maybe white too, I don't know)
	- manual controls for both contrast and brightness
	- 16 programmable function keys, but both shifted and unshifted
	  for 32 total.  256 bytes of programmability, which averages
	  to 8 per key (but of course a single definition can be more
	  than 8 characters).
	- 25th line is a status line, right half can contain arbitrary
	  message
	- 26th line is a label line, through which you can put an
	  arbitrary message or instead use to label your function key
	  assignments.  When you depress the shift key, the shifted
	  label set is displayed (this can be annoying however, because
	  every time you hit the shift key the 26th line changes).
	- VERY NICE keyboard feel, smooth full stroke
	- hexadecimal keypad, can be set up to send A B C D E F as
	  well as 0-9
	- arrow keys arranged like:
			^
		      < v >
	- ESCape key in the standard VT100 location (to the left of the
	  1 key)
	- the terminal works in one of two modes, ANSI and ASCII.
	  In ANSI mode, you get VT100 (really VT102) or VT52.  In
	  ASCII mode, you can choose from Wyse-50, TVI-910, TVI-920,
	  TVI-925, HZ-1500, or ADDS-VP.  We will probably never use
	  the ASCII mode for our requirements on Unix.

Inconveniences:
	- DELETE key is to the right of BACKSPACE key on the top row
	  (same row as numbers, -, =, `).  So it was a little farther
	  away than we were used to.  We found this was just a
	  matter of getting used to though.
	- no single key for SCROLL/NO SCROLL.  So you'll have to use
	  CTRL-S/CTRL-Q, or define a couple of function keys.
	- blink video mode blinks at half the speed of the cursor
	  blink speed, so it's a little too slow.
	- The manual is poor in some spots, omits some things, and
	  mentions things not available.  The manual delivered
	  with the terminal does not mention any of the special VT102
	  editing features (the insert/delete line/char.).  We did
	  have a demo unit here for a while, and it had a photo-copied
	  manual which DID mention them.
	- This is a true BUG.  There is an "Insert Line" option in the
	  setup menu, which you can choose as either "Blank" or
	  "Attributes".  This determines whether an insert line operation
	  will keep any video attributes going or instead will revert
	  back to normal video.  If you choose "Attributes", and then
	  do an insert line, the terminal will go bozonkers, and you'll
	  have to power cycle it.
	- This is another BUG.  If you send the Request for Terminal
	  Parameter sequence (ESC [ z) to the terminal, it will respond
	  correctly.  But, thereafter whenever you LEAVE Setup mode
	  the response is re-sent.  To fix this, again you need to
	  power cycle the terminal.

Problems in the demo unit, but NOT in the units we bought (this is
for those who may have used a CIT50+ and had a bad experience).
	- Auto-repeat mode worked at warp speed.  The time to enter
	  auto-repeat mode was very short, and while in the mode
	  the characters came out very rapidly.  The terminals we
	  bought have this set perfectly.
	- At random times while rapidly typing the terminal would
	  enter CAPS LOCK mode,
	  and it wouldn't know it was in that mode.  Only way to
	  exit was to do a SHIFT/LOCK.  Sometimes it would get into
	  a CTRL LOCK mode, and would require a CTRL/LOCK to
	  get out of it.  It seemed to suggest that it was a one-time
	  feature of the terminal (though there was no apparent way to
	  force it into the modes--only by accident while typing).
	- Keypress action was too soft.  We had both a CIT224 and
	  CIT50+ demo unit in.  The keyboard on the 224 was nice,
	  but the CIT50+ was so soft my error rate increased.  The
	  keys on the CIT50+'s we got is just like the 224 demo,
	  so all is well.

Price.
	I believe the list price of the CIT50+ is 599, and that
	of the CIT224 is 699.  We bought ours for quite a bit
	less than 500 (depended on quantity).

To summarize:  I like it.  The bugs are in no way a significant
problem in our daily use (though I would like them fixed).

(I have no connection with CIE Terminals at all.  I give all
 this info. because it might be useful to some people on the net.)

Stan Tazuma
Applied Microsystems Corp.
	....uw-beaver!tikal!amc!stan

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (08/08/86)

In article <218@amc.UUCP> stan@amc.UUCP (Stan Tazuma) writes:

>I would recommend the CIT50+ terminal made by CIE Terminals (used
>to be named C.Itoh).  They are not VT-220 compatible, but are VT100
>and VT52 compatible.  They are even DEC VT102 compatible...

Plus Wyse 50 compatability.  We evaluated the CIT50+ here.  A nice
terminal, although not quite what we were looking for.

>You might ask yourself whether you need a VT-220 compatible.
>...a true 220 compatible has the
>ESCape key way off in right field (up on the top row of function
>keys), as well as the < and > on a single key just to the left of
>the 'z' key. [...]

And I thought I was the only one that felt the VT-220 keyboard arrangement
was broken.  (Are you listening, CIE? DEC? Wyse? and all the others that
jumped on the DEC bandwagon?)

If anyone wants to see a 220 compatable done right, check out either the
GraphOn GO-220 or the Televideo 9220.  Both have full VT-220 keyboards with
an important exception:  The home keys are in the old VT-100 arrangement,
(escape, break, and <> back where they're supposed to be) and both terminals
let you disable the 'compose' key.  (The GraphOn let's you use 'compose' as
'hold screen'.)  The Televideo has backspace and delete swapped, and the
GraphOn lets you swap them in the setup menu.  Both products also have tilt
and swivel displays, important here because glare from overhead lights is
such a problem.  We use both the 9220 and the GO-240 (220 plus graphics
and mouse).  Love 'em.

Disclaimer: VT-220 and VT-100 are probably trademarks of Digital Equipment
Corporation, CIT 50+ trademarked by CIE Terminals, Wyse 50 trademarked by
Wyse Corp, GO-220 probably trademarked by GraphOn Corp.  I don't see how
Televideo can trademark an integer, but they may have.

Further Disclaimer: I don't work for, distribute, or represent any of
these companies.  I do, however, make a living pounding terminals.  I
offer this information only in the public interest and don't care what
kind of terminal you buy.  (Whew!)

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		seismo!amdahl!fai!ronc  -or-   ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."