[net.periphs] Rodime drives, parts

chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) (09/20/86)

 *
 I have a Rodime 203e (40mb raw) st506 drive that won't power up properly.
 (The platter won't spin up, although it is trying)
 I think the brake is going to need replacing.  Could someone please help
 with the following questions?

 1. Is there a Canadian or US distributor I can order a new brake from (the
    drives are made in England)?  Cal. Digital retails the drives but I
    don't think they sell parts for any of their stock.

 2. Do I really need the brake (spindown is 8secs even with the brake)?
    Do the heads get closer to the surface at power down? If not why
    do I need to slow the platters in a short period rather than letting
    it coast to a stop?

  I would really appreciate a quick response here as my system is useless
  till I get the drive fixed.

  Thanks in advance,

	john chapman
	{watmath,ihnp4,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!sfu_fornax!sfulccr!chapman

jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) (09/26/86)

In article <7@fornax.uucp> chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) writes:
> I have a Rodime 203e (40mb raw) st506 drive that won't power up properly.
> 1. Is there a Canadian or US distributor I can order a new brake from (the
>    drives are made in England)?  Cal. Digital retails the drives but I
>    don't think they sell parts for any of their stock.

The national distributor Lionex Corporation sells the rodime drives
here in the US.  Their national number is 800-238-LION.

In my area, their office is at:

	Lionex Corp.
	9020A Mendenhall Ct.
	Columbia, Md., 21045
	(301) 964-0040

John Allen
NetExpress Communications, Inc.      seismo!{sundc|hadron}!netxcom!jallen
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300         (703) 749-2238
Vienna, Va., 22180

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (10/01/86)

In article <7@fornax.uucp> chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) writes:
> I have a Rodime 203e (40mb raw) st506 drive that won't power up properly.
> (The platter won't spin up, although it is trying)
> I think the brake is going to need replacing.  Could someone please help
> with the following questions?
>
> 1. Is there a Canadian or US distributor I can order a new brake from (the
>    drives are made in England)?  Cal. Digital retails the drives but I
>    don't think they sell parts for any of their stock.

Rodime are a *Scottish* (not English) company. Their factory is in Glenrothes,
Fife. You could try writing them there.

		Jim

ARPA:	jim%cs.strath.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa, jim@cs.strath.ac.uk
UUCP:	jim@strath-cs.uucp, ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!jim
JANET:	jim@uk.ac.strath.cs

"JANET domain ordering is swapped around so's there'd be some use for rev(1)!"

thomas@kuling.UUCP (Thomas H{meenaho) (10/08/86)

In article <276@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>In article <7@fornax.uucp> chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) writes:
>> I have a Rodime 203e (40mb raw) st506 drive that won't power up properly.
>> (The platter won't spin up, although it is trying)
>> I think the brake is going to need replacing.  Could someone please help
>> with the following questions?
>>
>> 1. Is there a Canadian or US distributor I can order a new brake from (the
>>    drives are made in England)?  Cal. Digital retails the drives but I
>>    don't think they sell parts for any of their stock.
>
>Rodime are a *Scottish* (not English) company. Their factory is in Glenrothes,
>Fife. You could try writing them there.
>
>		Jim

FYI:	The address is:
		Rodime Europe Ltd.
		Nasmyth Road
		Southfield Industrial Estate
		Glenrothes
		Fife. KY6 2SD (Scotland)

		Tel: 0592 774704
		Telex: 727711
		FAX: 0592 772083

(I happened to have a broshure from Rodime beside my terminal)--
Thomas Hameenaho, Dept. of Computer Science, Uppsala University, Sweden
Phone: +46 18 138650
UUCP: thomas@kuling.UUCP (...!{seismo,mcvax}!enea!kuling!thomas)

carr@convex.UUCP (10/09/86)

Rodime has a factory in the US as well.
Tel # is (305) 994-6200. Boca Raton, Fl.