[net.periphs] Does this peripheral exist?

antdog@ihuxp.UUCP (Hillis) (09/24/86)

I would like to create a variation on a phone answering machine
using my pc. There are several features I want it to have, but mainly
I want my friends to be able to call and receive individual messages,
selected by entering touchtone digits. So basically I need a pc-
controllable audio tape recorder, connected to both the pc and the phone,
which can quickly reach any point on the tape. I have to be able to
record the messages, and the pc has to be able to "listen" to the calls.
Does anybody know if a cheap version of such a thing exists?

Thanks for any help,

      Tom E.

zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) (09/25/86)

In article <1284@ihuxp.UUCP> antdog@ihuxp.UUCP (Hillis) writes:
>I would like to create a variation on a phone answering machine
>using my pc. There are several features I want it to have, but mainly
>I want my friends to be able to call and receive individual messages,
>selected by entering touchtone digits. So basically I need a pc-
>controllable audio tape recorder, connected to both the pc and the phone,
>which can quickly reach any point on the tape. I have to be able to
>record the messages, and the pc has to be able to "listen" to the calls.
>Does anybody know if a cheap version of such a thing exists?

What you want is called Watson and is manufactured by
Natural Microsystems.  I have one and it is simply
fantastic.  People calling have complained that they cannot
tell whether they are listening to me or to the recording.

The only difference between Watson and what you ask for is
that Watson digitizes the speech and stores it on your disk
instead of using a tape recorder.  You get a choice of
compression with varying degrees of clarity during playback.

Call (800)6-WATSON for a demo (unless they have
discontinued it).  I think the board costs about $350 but
it's been a year since I bought mine.

Cheers,
--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corporation

cet@hdsvx1.UUCP (10/09/86)

In article <1602@felix.UUCP> zemon@felix.UUCP (Art zemon) writes:
>In article <1284@ihuxp.UUCP> antdog@ihuxp.UUCP (Hillis) writes:
>>I would like to create a variation on a phone answering machine
>>using my pc. There are several features I want it to have, but mainly
>>I want my friends to be able to call and receive individual messages,
>>selected by entering touchtone digits. So basically I need a pc-
>>controllable audio tape recorder, connected to both the pc and the phone,
>>which can quickly reach any point on the tape. I have to be able to
>>record the messages, and the pc has to be able to "listen" to the calls.
>>Does anybody know if a cheap version of such a thing exists?

If anyone is interested in these sort of systems, a company called
CELEBRATION COMPUTER SYSTEMS, 11 GREENWAY PLAZA, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77046
(713) 439-1840 sells and maintains (Software, Audio Productions,...)
all sizes of these systems. From one line WATSON and VOTRAX systems,
to large multiline systems (Up to sixteen lines per AT Type machine).

jac@umcp-cs.UUCP (Joseph A. Cimmino Jr.) (10/19/86)

You might also look at the IBM Voice Communications Adapter.
When used with the IBM Voice/Phone Assistant, it will be an
answering machine and allow individually addressed messages
on a single phone line.

--
Spoken:  Joseph A. Cimmino, Jr.
UUCP:    {seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!jac    CSNet: jac@umcp-cs