[net.periphs] RS-232 vs. The Apple LaserWriter

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/21/86)

	I just got my 2nd Apple LaserWriter and noticed that they have
re-written the manual a bit since I bought my first one 6 months ago.  In
particular, they go into a bit more detail when they talk about the comm
connectors.  Quoting from Appendix C, page 124:

	Technically, the LaserWriter has a "DTE" type of RS-232
	interface.  This means it can be connected directly to a
	host computer or a modem, with no signal reversals required.
	Connecting to a terminal requires interposing a modem
	eleminator [sic] (null modem) cable ...

	Now, I don't claim to be an expert on RS-232 (although I usually do
manage to get things to work), but isn't that wrong?  Shouldn't a "host
computer" also be a DTE?  My Sun-3/50 has DTE ports on the back, and the
various serial ports on my Vax are also DTE.  Is it common practice in
personal computers (whose owners, I assume, are the intended audience of
this manual) to have comm ports wired DCE?
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

zben@umd5 (Ben Cranston) (10/27/86)

In article <2457@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

> ...  Is it common practice in personal computers ... to have comm
> ports wired DCE?

Not all that common, but sometimes it happens.  Our office Apple ][+
has a CalComp serial port that is wired as a DCE.  This makes it really
easy to attach a printer, but when one wants to use a modem one has to
use the Bizarro-world equivalent of a null modem cable.  What would one
call such a thing?  A null-terminal cable :-)

The UART (ACE) was designed to be a DTE, and cross-wiring it as a DCE
causes muy braindamage - weird in-out interactions like not being able
to disallow input with CTS while sending a break.  A pox on the designer.
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland Sperrows 1100/92