[comp.unix.wizards] Berkely Unix ported to NCR Tower32

boesch@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Brian Boesch) (11/26/86)

-------
Has anyone ported Berkely 4.2 or 4.3 to the NCR Tower32 cpu?
We have one running system-V and would like to be more compatable
with the rest of the computers on campus.

Thanks in advance.

  boesch@su-shasta.EDU

ries@trwrb.UUCP (11/26/86)

In article <1012@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> boesch@Shasta.UUCP (Brian Boesch) writes:
>-------
>Has anyone ported Berkely 4.2 or 4.3 to the NCR Tower32 cpu?
>We have one running system-V and would like to be more compatable
>with the rest of the computers on campus.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>  boesch@su-shasta.EDU

  While I don't know of a VAR that has a binary port of pure  BSD
  for  the Tower/32, I recently had the opportunity to spend some
  time with an NCR Tower/32 running SYSVR2  (and  an  ATT  3B/400
  w/SYSVR3).

  First question, have you checked out the stuff  in  "/usr/ucb"?
  There  are a fair amount of "standard" UCB utilities, including
  csh.

  Otherwise, you have got a head start  on  the  Tower  with  its
  M68020 vs. the ATT's WE3200.  I had the opportunity to (try to)
  port several megabytes of (generally  4.2  BSD)  code  to  both
  machines.  In general, the Tower really barfed* on about 10% of
  the code, while the ATT faired worse, about 40%.

  Anyway, the PD libraries for  "strings"  and  "ndir"  were  the
  saving  grace,  once  "job  control" was conditionally compiled
  out.  FWIW.

		Marc A. Ries

		sdcrdcf!---\             /--- fcomp!ries
                ihnp4!------\----- trwrb! --- ries
                ucbvax!-----/

 * Define "barfed" as: 'You ain't getting this code to run on me, sucker!"