[comp.unix.wizards] console process getting killed

marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) (12/09/86)

We are running Ultrix 1.2 on a VAX 11/785, and noticed the following
problem after the system came up from a segmentation fault crash.
Any process associated with the console terminal was being terminated
at random intervals.  A clean system reload was our first attempt to
solve the problem, but that failed to change the situation.  After
watching its behavior, it appears to occur each time someone logs-out.
This leads me to think that "init" might be the culprit.  It puzzles
me as to why this would problem would just startup the time it did.
To the best of my knowledge, the only thing being done on a systems
level, is that we were running the "/etc/netsetup" script, which
modifies /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, and /etc/hosts.equiv files, for
configuring a local area network.  Is there something related here?
Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

UUCP :	... ! ucdavis ! umt ! marsh
US Mail :	Paul Marsh,	University of Montana, Computer Center
	    			Missoula, MT	59812
phone :				(406) 243-5455

brett@wjvax.UUCP (12/11/86)

In article <605@umt.UUCP> marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) writes:
>We are running Ultrix 1.2 on a VAX 11/785, and noticed the following
>problem after the system came up from a segmentation fault crash.
>Any process associated with the console terminal was being terminated
>at random intervals.  A clean system reload was our first attempt to
>solve the problem, but that failed to change the situation.  After
>watching its behavior, it appears to occur each time someone logs-out.
>This leads me to think that "init" might be the culprit.  It puzzles
>me as to why this would problem would just startup the time it did.
>To the best of my knowledge, the only thing being done on a systems
>level, is that we were running the "/etc/netsetup" script, which
>modifies /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, and /etc/hosts.equiv files, for
>configuring a local area network.  Is there something related here?
>Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I am having a similar problem right now with 4.2BSD from Integrated
Solutions.  The line printer daemon for some reason attaches itself to
the console, and then gets hung up whenever getty starts up upon the
console (such as right after boot -- thus, lpd dies almost immediately).
I don't know why lpd is attaching itself to the console, but in your
case, could it be that things are dieing upon logout from the
console?

Let me know what you find out.
--
-------------
Brett Galloway

ems@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (12/15/86)

In article <605@umt.UUCP> marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) writes:
>We are running Ultrix 1.2 on a VAX 11/785, and noticed the following
>problem after the system came up from a segmentation fault crash.
>Any process associated with the console terminal was being terminated
>at random intervals.  A clean system reload was our first attempt to
>solve the problem, but that failed to change the situation.  After
>watching its behavior, it appears to occur each time someone logs-out.
>This leads me to think that "init" might be the culprit.  It puzzles
>me as to why this would problem would just startup the time it did.
>To the best of my knowledge, the only thing being done on a systems
>level, is that we were running the "/etc/netsetup" script, which
>modifies /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, and /etc/hosts.equiv files, for
>configuring a local area network.  Is there something related here?
>Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
>UUCP :	... ! ucdavis ! umt ! marsh
>US Mail :	Paul Marsh,	University of Montana, Computer Center
>	    			Missoula, MT	59812
>phone :				(406) 243-5455

   Sound very similar to a problem we had here: Everytime some one logged
 off, the console would receive a new login prompt.
   DEC solved this one  for me, fortunately, they had seen it before.
 The localhosts entry in /etc/hosts must include the FULL address (i.e.
 the 'optional' zeroes MUST be included) :
     127.0.0.1 localhost myname
 where 'myname' must  ofcourse, match the string returned by hostname(1)

    Hope this helps.

------------- fold, spindle, mutilate at will ------(it's your CRT) ----
 Gordon P. Vickers, (408) 991-5370,
 Signetics Corp., PO Box 409, M/S 69, Sunnyvale, Ca 94086
 {allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!philabs!prls!ems
  or
 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!prls!ems

   Kick the habit: ask the American Lung Association about their
    "Freedom From Smoking" class. It worked for me, the wife, and 75%
     of the class. What a differance! Its GREAT!

  [ In this correspondance, I am representing myself and no others.
  I am not part of the PRLS group, but they are nice enough to allow me
  to TIP(1) to an account on their machine so I can send/receive email.]

swa@COMET.LCS.MIT.EDU (Steven Augart) (12/16/86)

   From: Paul Marsh <marsh@umt.uucp>
   Date: 9 Dec 86 01:08:59 GMT

   Any process associated with the console terminal was being terminated
   at random intervals.

   It puzzles
   me as to why this would problem would just startup the time it did.
   To the best of my knowledge, the only thing being done on a systems
   level, is that we were running the "/etc/netsetup" script, which
   modifies /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, and /etc/hosts.equiv files, for
   configuring a local area network.

This may not be your answer, but I know (from bitter experience) that
this problem happens on 4.2 BSD (and therefore on Ultrix) when the
definition line:

	127.0.0.1	localhost

is missing from the /etc/hosts file.  To make matters worse,
/etc/htable does not automatically create a localhost line; you need
such a line in /etc/localhosts.  Since you were munging /etc/hosts,
that's probably the cause.  The problem is especially insidious
because it doesn't show up until the next reboot.

SWA