[comp.unix.wizards] port to VAX 780

mes@stcvax.UUCP (Marjorie Smith) (12/18/86)

VAX info requested

We are porting 4.2 code from a VAX-11/750 to a VAX-11/780.
What do we need to be aware of?  I understand that the
UNIBUS adapter works differently on the 780.  How does this
affect drivers on the UNIBUS?  Is this the only difference?
How about memory?

Thanks in advance for any pointers or words of warning given!!

--
Marjie Smith  -  STK StorageTek (Disk Division)
uucp:	{ hao, ihnp4, decvax}!stcvax!mes

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (12/20/86)

In article <137@stcvax.UUCP>, mes@stcvax.UUCP (Marjorie Smith) writes:
>We are porting 4.2 code from a VAX-11/750 to a VAX-11/780.
>What do we need to be aware of?

Normally, nothing at all.

>I understand that the UNIBUS adapter works differently on the 780.
>How does this affect drivers on the UNIBUS?

The common code in vaxuba/uba.c attempts to hide all the differences.
The only existing drivers that check the CPU type are the console
TU58 cassette driver (only 750s have console TU58 cassettes) and
the UDA50 driver, which depends on the CPU type mainly because the
generic code needs some work.

>Is this the only difference?

No, but again, most of the differences are thoroughly hidden.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu