[comp.unix.wizards] UUCP guru needed!

gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (12/18/86)

[drat]

Would one of you UUCP gurus please mail me your phone number so that I
may ask your help in getting my uucp up.

I have it up to the point that it can dial other systems, log on, and
start some protocall, but then it times out and dies.  I've tried dialing
two completely different machines (a V7 and a 4.3 machine) with exactly
the same results;  this leads me to believe that I have some problem with
my uucp.  It is stock from DEC on ULTRIX32M on a microvax.

By the way, I've tried both sending mail (which is queued correctly, but
not sent), and copying a file with uucp (which is also queued correctly)
with the same result.

	Helllllp!
	Gary
	(617) 478-2000 x2784
	{ihnp4 | decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!gary

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (12/22/86)

In article <4333@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) writes:
> may ask your help in getting my uucp up.
>
> I have it up to the point that it can dial other systems, log on, and
> start some protocall, but then it times out and dies.  I've tried dialing
> two completely different machines (a V7 and a 4.3 machine) with exactly
> the same results;  this leads me to believe that I have some problem with
> my uucp.  It is stock from DEC on ULTRIX32M on a microvax.

This problem seems to be generic to Ultrix UUCP. I have a h*** of a time
passing traffic to systems running it. We run CTIX (Sys_V), and I've also
tried it from V7 without much luck. It does seem to talk to 4.2 quite
nicely.

Again, in our case the big problem seems to be TIMEOUTs. We can usually
push between 20 and 40 packets across, then the sender (us) starts timing
out and resending. After a while it just gives up.

One day (in frustration), I compiled the code on a non-VAX machine and
tried it. Same result, so it doesn't look like it's a hardware related
problem.

Like the man said, HELP!
--
Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM)      Systems Group - A Div. of Nexus Computing Corp.

UUCP: {ihnp4,ubc-vision,watmath}!alberta!ncc!lyndon  BITNET: USERCHNL@UALTAMTS

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/23/86)

In article <1269@ncc.UUCP>, lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> This problem seems to be generic to Ultrix UUCP. I have a h*** of a time
> passing traffic to systems running it. We run CTIX (Sys_V), and I've also
> tried it from V7 without much luck. It does seem to talk to 4.2 quite
> nicely.

While I do not claim that Ultrix's UUCP is bug free (though it *might*
be :-)) we push lots of data via uucp to all sorts of systems: System
V on AT&T and Convergent hardware; UTX on Gould hardware; 4.1C,
4.2BSD, 4.3BSD on VAXes; 2.9BSD on PDP11/44; System V on VAXes
(what'll they think of next :-)).  We do not have the problems you
hint at (I'd say "describe" but you didn't...)  I sent my numer to the
original poster.  If anything interesing comes of it, I will post.
(If anything embarassing comes of it, I'll let *him* post it :-).)

Fred.

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (12/24/86)

In his case, he has a 'smart' modem that is too smart.  No matter what
he tells it to do, it does what it wants to.  Well, in a limited sort
of way.

In particular, the modem prefers 7-bit even parity mode, but UUCP
does not.  He is now in the process of making the modem as dumb as
possible (but still be able to dial out).

uucico -x9 provided the answer in this case.

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET