[comp.unix.wizards] Apollo intends to support NFS+

shull@wharton-10.arpa (CHRISTOPHER E. SHULL) (01/15/87)

With all this discussion of NFS vs. RFS and which company is supporting
which and whether NFS has critical momentum or not, I hear that at the
Apollo annual sales meeting last week there was mention of Apollo's
intent to support NFS+.  Apparently the license is still being negotiated
with Sun, but the two companies are close to an agreement.

-Chris

Christopher E. Shull
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania			(215) 898-5930
Philadelphia, PA  19104-6366			shull@Wharton-10.ARPA
------

ekrell@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Eduardo Krell) (01/15/87)

I heard from very good sources that Apollo intends to support RFS.
I guess that if you offer both RFS and NFS, you can't lose.
--

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill

    {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (01/15/87)

In <2346@brl-adm.ARPA> shull@wharton-10.arpa (CHRISTOPHER E. SHULL) writes:
> I hear that at the Apollo annual sales meeting last week there was
> mention of Apollo's intent to support NFS+.

	What is "NFS+" as opposed to just plain "NFS"?  Is this some revised
version of the protocl, or does the "+" simply refer to YP, etc?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

SofPasuk@imagen.UUCP (01/16/87)

In article <1701@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ekrell@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Eduardo Krell) writes:
> I heard from very good sources that Apollo intends to support RFS.
> I guess that if you offer both RFS and NFS, you can't lose.
> --

What would really be nice would be if Apollo gave much better support for
their DomainIX product in general.  Their BSD4.2 isn't real BSD4.2 and their
System V isn't real System V.  The C and Fortran'77 (no flames please) are
very different than what one would otherwise expect on either of the above
UNIX variants on a 680x0 system and present many incompatibilities with
otherwise "portable" UNIX code.  The BSD "lpr" spooler interface code just
doesn't fully work.  The tcp/ip is apparently out of spec, etc.!

(Note:  We have an Apollo network of approximately 50 DN300 and 5 DN330
diskless nodes as well as 8 DSP-80a and 2 DSP-90 fileservers.)

I would be interested in other DomainIX users' experiences in the area
of Apollo's UNIX software support!