[comp.unix.wizards] satan, 666, goat's blood

alicia@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (01/31/87)

	Hey out there, it's late and we're tired... but we have a
  question. Why are daemons (like,"rwhod", "talkd", "rsendd"...)
  called "daemons". I mean, we know it's Latin for something that's
  not quite a God, but more than a man - but how does that relate.
        My first association is that daemons are eternal... but I
  don't know....    just curios....

		   alicia

jsq@im4u.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <711@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP> alicia@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (alicia h) writes:

>	Hey out there, it's late and we're tired... but we have a
>  question. Why are daemons (like,"rwhod", "talkd", "rsendd"...)
>  called "daemons". I mean, we know it's Latin for something that's
>  not quite a God, but more than a man - but how does that relate.
>        My first association is that daemons are eternal... but I
>  don't know....    just curios....
>

>		   alicia

The following definition comes from the jargon file, long maintained
in the distant past (more than five years ago) on several ARPANET machines.
An updated version appeared in print in the near past as The Hacker's
Dictionary, which you should run out and buy a copy of (I have no
connection, financial or otherwise, with the book); it being a curio
like yourself, no doubt you'll like it.  :-)

DAEMON (day'mun, dee'mun) [archaic form of "demon", which has slightly
   different connotations (q.v.)] n. A program which is not invoked
   explicitly, but which lays dormant waiting for some condition(s) to
   occur.  The idea is that the perpetrator of the condition need not
   be aware that a daemon is lurking (though often a program will
   commit an action only because it knows that it will implicitly
   invoke a daemon).  For example, writing a file on the lpt spooler's
   directory will invoke the spooling daemon, which prints the file.
   The advantage is that programs which want (in this example) files
   printed need not compete for access to the lpt.  They simply enter
   their implicit requests and let the daemon decide what to do with
   them.  Daemons are usually spawned automatically by the system, and
   may either live forever or be regenerated at intervals.  Usage:
   DAEMON and DEMON (q.v.) are often used interchangeably, but seem to
   have distinct connotations.  DAEMON was introduced to computing by
   CTSS people (who pronounced it dee'mon) and used it to refer to
   what is now called a DRAGON or PHANTOM (q.v.).  The meaning and
   pronunciation have drifted, and we think this glossary reflects
   current usage.
--
John Quarterman, UUCP:  {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, jsq@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

budd@bu-cs.UUCP (02/03/87)

The name daemon has long been used in the PDP-10 (36 bit) world,
TOPS-10 has the DAEMON job that historically served user requests to
create core dumps, very long term sleep wakeups, acounting file, and
system error log entries.  DAEMON communicated with the monitor by a
SPY segment, that is instead of a pure text segment it had a read only
mapping of the monitor, and returned data via a special call.

Daemon is sometimes spelled deamon.  Another term for daemon is
dragon, ITS has PFTMGD "Puff the Magic Dragon" that does magic things
(like at/cron)

Un*x has long had 'lpd', and while TOPS-10 was born a decade before
Un*x I'm unsure when the DAEMON appeared?

	Anyone prepared to kindle my hair on all this?

		Phil Budne
		Boston University
		Distributed Systems Group of
		Distributed Computing and Communications section of
		DisInformation Technology

tony@catsim.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <711@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP>, alicia@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (alicia h) writes:

> 	Hey out there, it's late and we're tired... but we have a
>   question. Why are daemons (like,"rwhod", "talkd", "rsendd"...)
>   called "daemons". I mean, we know it's Latin for something that's
>   not quite a God, but more than a man - but how does that relate.
>         My first association is that daemons are eternal... but I
>   don't know....    just curios....
>

> 		   alicia

If you have a copy of the "HACKER'S DICTIONARY" the answer lies on
page 53. Here is a part of the definition:

{ A program that is not invoked explicitly, but that lies dormant
waiting for one or more conditions to occure. The idea is that the
perpetrator of the condition need not be aware that a daemon is lurking
(though often a program will commit an action only because it knows
that it will implicitly invoke a daemon).
				.
				.
				.
Daemon and DEMON are often used interchangeably, but seem to have
discrete connotations. "Daemon" was introduced to computing by
people working on CTSS, the Compatible Time-Sharing System, which
was the first time-sharing system, developed atMIT. The pronounced
it "dee'm:o," and used it to refer to what is now call a DRAGON or
PHANTOM. THe meaning an pronunciation have drifed, and we think the
definitions given here reflect current usage. }

If you don't have a copy of Hacker's Dictionary I would suggest
that you try to find one.

					Tony Cratz

UUCP: hplabs!intelca!catsim!tony
Mail: 4051 Burton Dr.
      Santa Clara, Ca. 95054
Phone: 408-980-9144

tim@hoptoad.UUCP (02/04/87)

A "demon" (as opposed to "daemon") is a bug that vanishes when you run your
software under the debugger, but remains otherwise.
--
Tim Maroney, Electronic Village Idiot
{ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg,frog}!hoptoad!tim (uucp)

Second Coming Still Vaporware After 2,000 Years

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (02/04/87)

I believe the image of a software 'daemon' came from AI lingo for a
piece of code which waited in the shadows and awoke when it was
needed. I know the term is used like that in older AI literature to
describe a form of event-driven programming where the system was
designed as a "panel" of experts or daemons each waiting for a
question in his/her/its field to arrive at which time it would pop up,
answer it, and then disappear again back into the shadows.

I suspect the sum of its metaphysical+AI implications (not to mention
being a perfect metaphor if you accept the above) made it irresistible
to us system types as a term for such programs.

Or, perhaps the account just appeared on the system one day when one
not ready typed in the true name of root...

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

[Obviously I am just trying to relate it to its software usage, a good
dictionary should reveal its common usage.]

chapman@eris.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <1729@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>A "demon" (as opposed to "daemon") is a bug that vanishes when you run your
>software under the debugger, but remains otherwise.

No, that's a Heisenbug...  :-)

Brent
--
Brent Chapman

chapman@eris.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!eris!chapman

edm@tikal.UUCP (02/17/87)

As I understand it, "demons" were "bad" spirits and "daemons" were "good"
ones.  So I guess the idea is that all those "daemons" running in the back-
ground on UNIX are supposed to be good because they help you in some way
while using the system...
--
                                        Ed Morin -  Teltone Corporation
...uw-beaver_____!tikal!edm             10801 - 120th Ave. N.E.