[comp.unix.wizards] SLIPDISC protocol

david@wucs2.UUCP (02/19/87)

    Has anyone successfully used the SLIPDISC protocol
(mentioned on page SMM:13-9 under tty_conf.c) to connect
systems over an asynchronous serial link?

    We have the use of one channel of a u-wave link that
appears as a 9600 baud serial line with occasional severe
burst errors.  We want to use the link to connect a uVaxII
to a Vax-750 both running 4.3.

    We previously had used itt (posted by elvy@harvard in
Feb 84) to (somewhat) succesfully connect a pair of 750's
running 4.2 over the u-wave link.  For reasons that we
could never totally pin down, one of the machines crashed
on the order of once a day when running itt.  Converting
itt from 4.2 to 4.3 does not seem to be straightforward.

    No one here has been able to succesfully compile a
kernel with the SLIPDISC protocol.  Does anyone know
if it is functional as distributed, or if not know what
modifications are needed.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

David Burstyn                   UUCP:    david@wuibc2.UUCP
Computer Systems Lab            CSNET:   wuibc2!david@seismo.ARPA%csnet-relay
Washington University           ARPANET: wuibc2!david@seismo.ARPA
St. Louis, MO  63130            516 Lopata Hall, (314) 889-4678

chris@mimsy.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <596@wucs2.UUCP> david@wucs2.UUCP (David Burstyn) writes:
>    Has anyone successfully used the SLIPDISC protocol
>(mentioned on page SMM:13-9 under tty_conf.c) to connect
>systems over an asynchronous serial link?

Yes.  (But not here.)

>    No one here has been able to succesfully compile a
>kernel with the SLIPDISC protocol.  Does anyone know
>if it is functional as distributed, or if not know what
>modifications are needed.

It will run.  Add

	pseudo-device	sl	2	# or however many you need

to your configuration file, run /etc/config, make depend, make.
Boot the new vmunix, make sure characters sent on ttyXX show up
at the other machine, and run

	slattach ttyXX 1200 &		# or whatever speed

If you need a modem dialled, write a program to do that, then run
slattach.  If the line drops, slattach should die with a SIGHUP,
and you can automatically redial.

There are, however, a few bugs in the code as distributed.  In
particular, if you get low on clists, the SL interfaces may lock
up.  I have no official fix yet (low priority).
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu