[comp.unix.wizards] novice netusers

news@brl-adm.ARPA (The News System <news>) (03/05/87)

>>   I don't mean to be nasty but can't something be done to people
>>who send messages like this:
>> [request to be removed from mailing list follows]
>
>No. Education. Digesting maybe. Not really. Sending a gripe to the
>whole list just doubles the noise however (this triples it!) Perhaps
>administrative issues should be sent to "unix-wizard-request".

The following is a suggestion not a gripe (limited noise injection).

Education yes!  Where is he/she to get the requisite education?
Unless a novice net user is lucky enough to have a very conciencious system
administrator at his/her site the education is very haphazard.

Many new users enter the networking arena without formal education in its
proper use.  Armed with only a net address and a mail program they attempt
to use a system containing some nasty monsters that snap and growl at the
networking faux pas.

I suggest that there be a short daily posting which points to a clearing house
for novice users.  The novice (and some of the old timers) need to learn
networking techniques, network manners, and network ideosyncracies.

This is not a problem unique to this mail group.  Not all readers of
"unix-wizards" are networking wizards (yet).  I consider myself in the
novice category.  My scars are a persistent reminder.

Please contact me if you have suggestions about the nature of the
clearing house or have information that you would like to submit to
such a mechanism.

Flame on this if you will, but the problem will not go away by itself.

					D.A.R.Y.L.

ARPANET:	daryl@mitre-gateway.arpa or daryl@gateway.mitre.org
Telephone:	(703) 883-7278
U.S. Mail:	Daryl Crandall
		The MITRE Corporation
		Mailstop W-429
		1820 Dolley Madison Blvd.
		McLean, VA 22102

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (03/10/87)

   From: "The News System <news>" <news@brl-adm.arpa>
   Date: 5 Mar 87 16:51:17 GMT

   >>   I don't mean to be nasty but can't something be done to people
   >>who send messages like this:
   >> [request to be removed from mailing list follows]
   >
   >No. Education. Digesting maybe. Not really. Sending a gripe to the
   >whole list just doubles the noise however (this triples it!) Perhaps
   >administrative issues should be sent to "unix-wizard-request".

   The following is a suggestion not a gripe (limited noise injection).

   Education yes!  Where is he/she to get the requisite education?
   Unless a novice net user is lucky enough to have a very conciencious system
   administrator at his/her site the education is very haphazard.

Like many problems, the solution (or a partial one at least) is obvious.
When I sign up to xxx-request I always get a note back saying confirming
my subscription. Often (always?) this is a form-letter. Just have each
moderator add instructions on how to unsubscribe from the list as well.
In fairness, some of them do this already.

	(Root Boy) Jim "Just Say Yes" Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	Why did Paul Simon name his album after Elvis Presley's house?

black@ee.UCLA.EDU (03/11/87)

> Education yes!  Where is he/she to get the requisite education?

When I got the news software for our computer, I made copies of
some doc. that came with it--"How to Read the Network News" and
"How to Use USENET Effectively."  To each novice user I distribute
a copy of this stuff.  This gives the basics--the University of
Hard Knocks does an excellent job of the rest!

Rex Black

black@ee.ucla.edu                                          ARPA
...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp}!ucla-cs!uclaee!black     UUCP

Disclaimer:  "It wasn't me, no no babe, it wasn't me,
              Yeah, it musta been some-other-body,
              No no child, it wasn't me!"  -- George Thoroughgood

drears@ARDEC.arpa (03/11/87)

> Education yes!  Where is he/she to get the requisite education?

>> When I got the news software for our computer, I made copies of
>> some doc. that came with it--"How to Read the Network News" and
>> "How to Use USENET Effectively."  To each novice user I distribute
>> a copy of this stuff.  This gives the basics--the University of
>> Hard Knocks does an excellent job of the rest!
>>
>> Rex Black

      This is great for people who recieve items through USENET but
what about the people who recieve items only through maillists.  I
am on the ARPAnet and can get news only through the maillists.  The
little I know about USENET comes from various UNIX magazines,
UNIFORUM & USENIX conferences, and items in info-unix, unix-wizards,
and other maillists.  We do not have access to uucp (Command
Decision) or netnews.
      I am not alone in this.  There are a lot of users out there
who suscribe to maillists but don't realize their is a link to
USENET.  They have no idea what it is.  Unfortanately the only way
is thru experience.  I realize this topic doesn't actually belong to
wizards but even if I knew where it belonged I probably could not
access it.  Any ideas on education for the ARPA users?

Dennis

Disclaimer:  If I needed a disclaimer I wouldn't send it out!