[comp.unix.wizards] vi on system v

jhc@mtune.UUCP (03/27/87)

In article <356@gssc.UUCP> jdm@gssc.UUCP (John D. Miller) writes:
>vi on system 5 is severely limited (in my opinion) by limiting the size of
>files that can be edited.  on bsd, i can vi a seemingly infinetly large
>file (there is *some* limit, of course), but a file of a few hundred K or
>so bugs out on system v with the complaint that the temp file is too large.
>(yes, i have plenty of room on my filesystems.)

If you have source then I can tell you how to persuade SVR2 vi to edit
ULIMIT files, also to handle loooong lines. Don't know about other
versions, sorry. In makefile.usg:

First, change the options line to read:

OPTIONS= -DCRYPT -DUSG -DSTDIO -DVMUNIX

Then put these two modifications into the appropriate places in the
same file:

#ifndef VMUNIX
#STRINGS=strings.o
#endif. # jhc

.c.o:
#ifdef VMUNIX	# jhc
	${CC} ${CFLAGS} -c $*.c
#else
#	${MKSTR} - exstrings x $*.c
#	${CC} -E ${CFLAGS} x$*.c | ${XSTR} -c -
#	rm -f x$*.c
#	${CC} ${CFLAGS} -c $*.c
#	mv x.o $*.o
#endif

and recompile.

I've been running this on 20 VAXen for over a year now. Works great!
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

Albatross! Stormy petrel on a stick!