[comp.unix.wizards] uucp source copyright status - IMPORTANT

roy@phri.UUCP (03/22/87)

In article <696@brl-sem.ARPA> ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
> Once again, UNIX is protected by TRADE SECRET status.  You may not divulge
> the manner that UNIX works without being in violation of the agreement
> you have with AT&T.

	Doesn't that mean that pretty much all of what is on unix-wizards
is a violation of our license agreements?  How many times have we seen
somebody explain that X happens when you do Y because you zap the Z entry
in the inode?  If that's not divulging information about how Unix works
internally, then I don't know what is.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

tim@ism780c.UUCP (04/04/87)

<
<	Doesn't that mean that pretty much all of what is on unix-wizards
<is a violation of our license agreements?  How many times have we seen
<somebody explain that X happens when you do Y because you zap the Z entry
<in the inode?  If that's not divulging information about how Unix works
<internally, then I don't know what is.

Note that much of this information has been made public.  For example,
there is that book that describes the internals of System V.2 and some
of V.3.

You should be safe talking about anything that has been already published.
--
Tim Smith			"And if you want to be me, be me
uucp: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim	 And if you want to be you, be you