[comp.unix.wizards] System V job control question

dave@sdeggo.UUCP (04/04/87)

Can anyone explain to me how shl and ksh suspend processes on Sys V without
a STOP signal?  Or do they suspend processes at all?

		Thanks in advance,
		David L. Smith

sdcsvax!sdamos!sdeggo!dave, ihnp4!jack!man!sdeggo!dave, hp-sdd!crash!sdeggo!dave
sdeggo!dave@sdamos.ucsd.edu
"A clean desk is the work of a sick mind"

mickey@axis.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <19@sdeggo.UUCP>, dave@sdeggo.UUCP writes:
> Can anyone explain to me how shl and ksh suspend processes on Sys V without
> a STOP signal?  Or do they suspend processes at all?

Your second suggestion was closer. As far as I am aware (having used shl
but never written things using the sxt driver - but having glanced at
the source) all that is done with the non-xurrent processes is to block
their output (this is an option, the default is non-blocked) thus
if the locked output option is chosen (internally this becomes an ioctl)
then as soon as the process writes something to the screen (the sxt device)
it gets blocked and thus de-schedules itself.
	I know nothing about ksh.
			Mickey