[comp.unix.wizards] du's "--bad status" message

campbell@maynard.UUCP (03/27/87)

What does this mean?

	du /usr/spool/news | sort -nr
	--bad status < /usr/spool >
	--bad status < /usr/spool >

There's nothing detectably wrong with /usr/spool, and the space listing
followed normally.  I also see this message from "find" on occasion.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.BSW.COM          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

rcodi@yabbie.UUCP (03/29/87)

In article <880@maynard.BSW.COM>, campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
> 	du /usr/spool/news | sort -nr
> 	--bad status < /usr/spool >
> 	--bad status < /usr/spool >

It probably means you don't have permission to access /usr/spool (not root?).

Yet another case where perror(3) should have been used instead of
hiding the real reason for such errors.

Ian D.

avolio@decuac.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <434@yabbie.oz>, rcodi@yabbie.oz (Ian Donaldson) writes:
> In article <880@maynard.BSW.COM>, campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
> > 	du /usr/spool/news | sort -nr
> > 	--bad status < /usr/spool >
> > 	--bad status < /usr/spool >
>
> It probably means you don't have permission to access /usr/spool (not root?).

Larry, you don't say what comes after that?  If lots of other stuff
comes after that in the listing, I'd say that the du was run while
expire or inews was running.  Then I'd expect to see and occasional
"bad status" from files that disappear when you try an open.  Since
you are sorting, the lines starting with "--" come out on top (well,
before any lines beginning with numbers).

Fred.

dgreen@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <434@yabbie.oz> rcodi@yabbie.oz (Ian Donaldson) writes:
>In article <880@maynard.BSW.COM>, campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
>> 	du /usr/spool/news | sort -nr
>> 	--bad status < /usr/spool >
>> 	--bad status < /usr/spool >
>
>It probably means you don't have permission to access /usr/spool (not root?).

It may also mean that you have hard-linked some directories.  You might get
bad status from "link", if the link count on the directory and the number of
sub-files aren't equal.  Not-equal means bad things... "find" descending a
hard-linked directory won't be able to ascend properly.

At least I've had this problem... after (incorrectly) using /etc/link to link
directories.

 _D_a_n_ _G_r_e_e_n_i_n_g     _A_R_P_A-  dgreen@CS.UCLA.EDU
                  _U_U_C_P- ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!dgreen