[comp.unix.wizards] job control & interupts

drears@ARDEC.arpa (FSAC) (04/14/87)

     We are running BRL VAX UNIX 4.2 BSD release 2 on a VAX 780. I am
experiencing a problem with the job control features and interupt
handling routines on the bourne shell. The following are some of the
problems I am experiencing:

1) If I su to root, then su to another user, then run some programs and
hit the interrupt key (defined as CRTL C) during the execution of the
programs it sometimes logs me out of my session and kills all
processes associated with my tty.

2) If I alias to someone and run vi and hit the the suspend key
(defined as CTRL Z) it kills vi and the alias as opposed to stopping
it.  Alias is like su on our system.

3)  If I run the following shell script and hit the suspend key it
kills the program instead of stopping it.

#!/bin/sh
#  primitive way of getting a copy of a talk session
#  permission.
if [ $USER == "drears" ]
	then cd /u/drears/talk
	else /usr/ucb/talk $*
	exit
fi
filename=$1:`date|cut -c12-16`
date >${filename}
echo $1 >>${filename}
/usr/ucb/talk $1|tee -a  ${filename}
chmod 700 ${filename}

    Any ideas on what is happening or how to prevent it?

Dennis

ARPA: drears@ardec

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (04/14/87)

In article <6886@brl-adm.ARPA> drears@ARDEC.arpa (FSAC) writes:
>     We are running BRL VAX UNIX 4.2 BSD release 2 on a VAX 780. I am
>experiencing a problem with the job control features and interupt
>handling routines on the bourne shell.

There were several problems with that release.  The job control part
of our current SVR2 Bourne shell has been substantially changed and
has far fewer problems (I think there are still some subtle ones).
Your best bet would be to upgrade the shell.  Perhaps by the time
you get a new copy we'll have finished cleaning up the emacs-style
history editing and other such new features.