[comp.unix.wizards] Boot Problems

stubblef@ALMSA-1.arpa (Glenda Stubblefield) (04/17/87)

To Anyone Who Can Help:

I am having a problem when trying to boot after a power off.
I am running 4.2 BSD on a VAX 750.  I have one RP06 and one RM80
disk which I have set up as follows:
     RM80   -   hp0a   -  /
                hp0g   -  /usr
     RP06   -   hp1g   -  the users file system
              (I also have a backup boot on hp1a)

Up until six weeks ago these disks were the opposite of what they
are now -- the RP06 was hp0 and held / and /usr, the RM80 was empty
except for a boot (we had no users).  When I needed to establish users
on this system I switched the disks so that the RP06 would hold the
users, since it was larger.

Since that time we have had three occasions where I had to bring
the system up from a complete power down.  Each time I have not
been able to boot off the RM80.  I get to the '%%' prompt and it
goes no farther.  Seems to me it's getting to the boot, but not
reading it.  The only way I have been able to bring the system up
is to make the RP06 disk 0, the RM80 disk 1, boot off the RP06, come
up to single user, switch the disks back, halt the system then reboot.
When I do that it comes back up off the RM80.

I do not understand why I can't boot off the RM80 after the power
down.  If I shutdown the system at any other time (without powering
off) I'm fine and can boot from the RM80.

I mounted hp1a and did a 'sum' on that boot and the boot on hp0a--they
are the same.  The first time this happened the CE was here and I
talked to him about the problem.  He said he didn't understand what
was happening, but that it didn't make any sense.  I agree, it makes
no sense!!

Do any of you have any idea what's happening and what I can do about
it.

Thanks --

Glenda Stubblefield
USAMC ALMSA
St. Louis, MO

haral@unisol.UUCP (Haral Tsitsivas) (04/19/87)

In article <6932@brl-adm.ARPA> stubblef@ALMSA-1.arpa (Glenda Stubblefield) writes:
>I am having a problem when trying to boot after a power off...
>I am running 4.2 BSD on a VAX 750.  I have one RP06 and one RM80...
>I do not understand why I can't boot off the RM80 after the power
>down.  If I shutdown the system at any other time (without powering
>off) I'm fine and can boot from the RM80.

Yes, I seem to recall a similar problem under 4.1BSD with RP07 type disks.
The problem was something being reset on a power down on the drive and
it was leading to a "bad format" error when trying to startup immediately
after a power down.  My 4.3 hp.c driver seems to be doing the right thing,
but I cannot check this for 4.2 since I don't have 4.2 sources on line.

What you probably have to do is make sure that hpaddr->hpcs1 is set
to HP_DCLR|HP_GO and HP_PRESET|HP_GO (also HPOF_FMT22) when first coming
up, otherwise they will never be set.  That should either be done
in the hpustart (as done in 4.3) or the hpstrategy routine (I think where
the problem was in 4.1).

The culprit in 4.1 was a missing test for initialization of the drive like:

	if (hpaddr->hpds & HPDS_VV) == 0 ) {

instead of the (4.3) correct:

	if ((hpaddr->hpds & HPDS_VV) == 0 || !sc->sc_hpinit) {

If sc->sc_hpinit does not exist in your driver you have to define an
array which you have to manage yourself...

--Haral Tsitsivas
  scgvaxd!ashtate!unisol!haral