[comp.unix.wizards] tmscp tape drives give "hard error" on reading too small a record

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (04/20/87)

In article <1696@husc6.UUCP> dudek@endor.harvard.edu (Glen Dudek) writes:
>... but UNIX semantics for raw tape devices require this behaviour

I do not think so:

>(at least, all such raw tape drivers I've ever seen behave this way).

All save one.  The TU78 driver in 4.[23]BSD gives ENOMEM errors when
reading with too small a block size.

>I found this problem when a remote software installation broke because the
>installation assumed 'dd if=/dev/rmt4 of=/dev/null' would successfully
>skip a tape file independent of blocksize.

I believe the `proper' way to skip a file is to use the magtape ioctls:
`mt -f /dev/rmt4 fsf'.  Obviously this will not work on systems without
such ioctls.  (So it goes.)
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu