[comp.unix.wizards] The Yellow Pages service for a "distributed passwd file"

tamir@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/16/87)

Sun's Yellow Pages service seems like a reasonable solution
to the problem of managing accounts on a large number of machines.
However, over the past year I have seen several messages on
the net implying that the were serious problems with
the Yellow Pages and that many people have decided not to use
this service.  There are, of course, many people who are using it.

I would like to know what are the major problems with the use
of the Yellow Pages service for managing accounts on
a large number of machines.
I am particularly interested in hearing from people who had
the possibility of using the Yellow Pages service but decided against it.
Other comments (positive & negative) on the subject would be welcome as well.

If I get interesting responses, I will post a summary.

			   Yuval Tamir

Internet: tamir@cs.ucla.edu
    UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp,randvax,ism780}!ucla-cs!tamir

tamir@CS.UCLA.EDU (04/23/87)

In article <5541@shemp.UCLA.EDU> I wrote:
>Sun's Yellow Pages service seems like a reasonable solution
>to the problem of managing accounts on a large number of machines.
>However, over the past year I have seen several messages on
>the net implying that the were serious problems with
>the Yellow Pages and that many people have decided not to use
>this service.  There are, of course, many people who are using it.
>
>I would like to know what are the major problems with the use
>of the Yellow Pages service for managing accounts on
>a large number of machines.
>I am particularly interested in hearing from people who had
>the possibility of using the Yellow Pages service but decided against it.
>Other comments (positive & negative) on the subject would be welcome as well.

It looks like there are some real problems with the Yellow Pages.
The responses I got are  attached below.
I am interested in receiving additional responses. I will
post another summary on the net if I receive more useful information.

			   Yuval Tamir

Internet: tamir@cs.ucla.edu
    UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp,randvax,ism780}!ucla-cs!tamir

My guess is that the greatest trouble with the Yellow Pages approach is
in retrofitting a unified userid scheme into an existing collections
of machines.

We introduced Yellow Pages to systems whose password files were
already in alignment and are having no problems.

yp is fine for giving machines access to data such as /etc/passwd
or /etc/hosts remotely.  The problems as I see it are in generating
the data in the first place, not in accessing it once it is in place.
There is no interactive update procedure.  There is a separate
program to change your password which rebuilds the database and
then rcp's it to all the hosts.  As far as I can recall, other
changes like chfn don't work at all.  This may or may not bother
you.  yp itself works.  The issue is whether it gives you all the
facilities you need to manage your systems.

We are currently using yellow pages on a system with 3 file servers
and 30 clients. In addition, there is another server with 4 clients
on the yellow pages domain.

Problems:
	We don't know how to turn off yellow pages for specific functions.
	ex. The yellow pages master has the ethernet addresses for all the
	clients. We see no reason for this.

	Security is rather fragile. Twice I've had a database corrupted
	when someone at a non-master server tried to update his own
	machine. That machine became master with an incomplete database.

	Apparently, anyone with root access can bring down the yellow
	pages service. Since we are running a network with the machines
	owned by several research groups, this will probably become a
	larger problem.

	Yellow pages does not guarantee the to keep the order of a
	database. This has caused us some troubles with the host
	tables of gateways.

I have been under some pressure to turn off yp. I am slowly moving in
that direction.

	We have a couple VAXen, about 30 68000s running our version of UNIX,
and several Suns.  All run NFS, but only the Suns run YP.  Part of the reason
is historical:  our experiences with YP 2.0 (the version shipped with SunOS
2.0) were abysmal.  YP 2.0 was quite buggy.  YP 3.0 is much better, but still
not something that we can have a lot of confidence in.  Here are the problems
we've seen:

	-  it's huge:  programs that previously had quite modest aspirations
	   are now giants.  Here's an example:

		/usr/bin/id: 14508 + 1174 + 5992 = 21674	(without YP)
		/usr/bin/id: 37706 + 6734 + 13138 = 57578	(with YP)

	-  it's slow.  Sun can get away with this because their machines are
	   quite fast, but putting a YP server on a moderately loaded machine
	   is painful (for its clients).

	-  error handling is not adequate:  password lookup routines are not
	   something the average UNIX program expects to fail (or hang).

	-  it's not transparent

	On the other hand, it's there.  If you have a network that's large
enough to require a complex name server and stable enough that you can rely
on always being able to find a server in time of need, it does a reasonable
job.