From: Haral Tsitsivas <haral@unisol.uucp>
Subject: Re: Boot Problems
Date: 18 Apr 87 22:25:05 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@brl-sem.arpa

In article <6932@brl-adm.ARPA> stubblef@ALMSA-1.arpa (Glenda Stubblefield) writes:
>I am having a problem when trying to boot after a power off...
>I am running 4.2 BSD on a VAX 750.  I have one RP06 and one RM80...
>I do not understand why I can't boot off the RM80 after the power
>down.  If I shutdown the system at any other time (without powering
>off) I'm fine and can boot from the RM80.

Yes, I seem to recall a similar problem under 4.1BSD with RP07 type disks.
The problem was something being reset on a power down on the drive and
it was leading to a "bad format" error when trying to startup immediately
after a power down.  My 4.3 hp.c driver seems to be doing the right thing,
but I cannot check this for 4.2 since I don't have 4.2 sources on line.

What you probably have to do is make sure that hpaddr->hpcs1 is set
to HP_DCLR|HP_GO and HP_PRESET|HP_GO (also HPOF_FMT22) when first coming
up, otherwise they will never be set.  That should either be done
in the hpustart (as done in 4.3) or the hpstrategy routine (I think where
the problem was in 4.1).

The culprit in 4.1 was a missing test for initialization of the drive like:

	if (hpaddr->hpds & HPDS_VV) == 0 ) {

instead of the (4.3) correct:

	if ((hpaddr->hpds & HPDS_VV) == 0 || !sc->sc_hpinit) {

If sc->sc_hpinit does not exist in your driver you have to define an
array which you have to manage yourself...

--Haral Tsitsivas
  scgvaxd!ashtate!unisol!haral

-----------------------------

From: Patrick Barron <pdb@sei.cmu.EDU>
Subject: Sendmail problem
Date: 19 Apr 87 17:40:05 GMT
Sender: netnews@sei.cmu.EDU
To:       unix-wizards@brl-sem.arpa

Symptom:  If a sendmail process dies (kill -9, system crash, whatever) while
it's trying to deliver a message, then the qf file for that message goes
away.  Has anyone else seen this?  Anyone have a fix?

BTW, the sendmail version in question is 5.54.

-----------------------------

From: Patrick Barron <pdb@sei.cmu.EDU>
Subject: Another sendmail thing
Date: 19 Apr 87 17:52:59 GMT
Sender: netnews@sei.cmu.EDU
To:       unix-wizards@brl-sem.arpa

The version of sendmail that came with 4.2BSD (version 4.12, I think) would
trace SMTP sessions during message delivery if you ran the queue in verbose
mode.  Version 5.54 doesn't seem to do this.  Is this a new "feature", or did
I just set something wrong?

--Pat.

-----------------------------

From: cheng@ntvax.uucp
Subject: Re: Dynamic function loading
Date: 17 Apr 87 18:38:00 GMT
Nf-ID: #R:rdin.UUCP:600:ntvax:33200001:000:1331
Nf-From: ntvax.UUCP!cheng    Apr 17 12:38:00 1987
To:       unix-wizards@brl-sem.arpa

/* Written 12:35 pm  Apr 10, 1987 by rdin.UUCP!perl in ntvax:comp.unix.wizards */
/* ---------- "Dynamic function loading" ---------- */
I posted this request several months ago but our news reception went
flakey after the newsgroup reorganization and if I got any responses,
my system lost them.  So, if you have any information on this, please
let me know, even if you already sent it to me.

A number of people have pointed out that UNIX has the ability to link
functions into a running program.  Pointers have been given to look at
the documentation for the -A and -T options of ld(1).  Well, I and a
number of other netters have stared at the documentation as long as our
little brains can stand and the bright flash of light that was promised
hasn't come to us.  I know someone out there knows how this works since
Franz Lisp does it.  I can dig that you use "ld -A -T" to create a file
that can be loaded into a specific location within a running process,
but what do you do to do the actual loading?  Exec? What strange
arguments or calling sequences do I have to know about?

As I have already recieved a number of responses requesting the results
of this query, I will post a summary.

Thank you.

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York
{philabs|delftcc}!rdin!perl
/* End of text from ntvax:comp.unix.wizards */

-----------------------------

From: The Computer Grue <randy@ncifcrf.uucp>
Subject: Kernel routing tables dropping entries . . .
Date: 9 Apr 87 13:18:07 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@brl-sem.arpa

    I am running a Sun network (all Sun 3's, OS 3.2, thinwire
  ethernet) which gateways through to the main ethernet at our site.
  My problem is that the non-gateway suns (call them 'clients')
  occasionally drop all information about the main network from their
  routing tables (sometimes they 'remember' networks connected to the
  main cable but forget about the main network; sometimes they forget
  about everything but the loopback interface and the sun ethernet).
  This results in user's not being able to telnet or rlogin to any
  machine not on the main ethernet.  A 'netstat -r' on the client
  machines fail to show any sign of the main network at all; the same
  command on the gateway shows everything as it should be.  Killing
  and restarting the routed demon ('/etc/in.routed') on the client
  machine fixes the problem.

    My understanding of the operation of routed is that the gateway
  routed demon should be regularly (every 60 seconds) sending out
  routing information packets as to what services it can preform for
  everyone else.  For that reason I would think that (even if the NSA
  reached in and erased part of our routing tables :-}) the client
  routing tables would be back to normal after a problem within 60
  seconds.  This does not seem to be happening.  Does anyone have any
  ideas as to what is actually going on?  Or, failing that, some
  suggestion as to what I might do to further diagnose the problem?
  Much thanks . . .

					-- Randy Smith

--
  Randy Smith    @	NCI Supercomputer Facility
  c/o PRI, Inc.

-----------------------------

From: Mike Lutz <mjl@tropix.uucp>
Subject: Looking for experiences with SunLink/DNA
Date: 19 Apr 87 18:55:50 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@brl-sem.arpa

We just installed a Sun 3/260, and are considering linking it
to our Vax VMS systems using Sun's SunLink DNA.  Before we plunk
down any money to Sun and DEC, we would like to have feedback
from some sites already using this product. Specifically, we'd
like information on:

a) ease of installation
b) reliability
c) ease of use (our largest user group consists of lens designers,
   most of whom use computers out of necessity, not technical interest,
   none of whom like computers that get in the way of optical design).
d) support

Any and all information is welcome.  I'll summarize what I receive
back to these groups.

Thanks,
Mike Lutz
seismo!rochester!tropix!mjl

-----------------------------

From: mason@tmsoft.uucp
Subject: Re: REQUEST: Comments on IN/IX SysV UNIX
Date: 19 Apr 87 02:42:14 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@brl-sem.arpa

In article <869@chinet.UUCP> wmf@chinet.UUCP (William M. Fischer) writes:

>I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with the
>IN/IX UNIX System 5 Operating System from INTERACTIVE Systems located in
>Santa Monica, CA.
>
>Particularly interested in impressions of communications and development
>system capabilities.

I hope it's getting better, but Ser/IX (Unix on an IBM Series/1) is,
I believe, a version of this.  (...never heard of Unix on a Series/1?,
not really surprising, IBM only sold the combo for about 9 months as far as
I can figure.  Unfortunately 'ryesone.UUCP' (where I'm sysadmin as well as
here) is one...)

It's hard to say what's their fault & what's just the Series/1.  One of
the most maddening things is they have basically System V, but with Berkeley
terminal drivers....so nothing, that does anything at all fancy, ports!
The manuals are also AFU...MAYBE better for a novice, very frustrating
for someone familiar with Unix.  Nroff doesn't work.  Little things.
(AIX - System V for IBM PC-RT has similar fouled up manuals, I believe
it's by the same people).

On the bright side, anyone that can make a pretty bug-free C compiler
for the Series/1 can't be stupid.  (Though anyone who would try might
be considered a little mentally unstable; it's the weirdest architecture
I've ever seen....makes the 8086 look positively reasonable.)
--
	../Dave Mason,	TM Software Associates	(Compilers & System Consulting)
	..!{utzoo seismo!mnetor utcsri utgpu lsuc}!tmsoft!mason

-----------------------------

From: paul@MATH.UCLA.EDU
Subject: "ie0: no carrier" message on a SUN-3/160
Date: 19 Apr 87 22:35:35 GMT
Sender: root@CS.UCLA.EDU
To:       unix-wizards@brl-sem.arpa

We have a Sun-3/160 with a thick ethernet interface.  It complains about
"ie0: no carrier" once in a few hours.  We swapped all the things we
can think of, such as ethernet board, transceiver and transceiver cable,
to no effect.  Can someone provide some hints/ideas?  Strange enough,
only one workstation has this symptom, other Sun workstations seem to
be happy and have no complaints.  Thanks in advance

paul
@math.ucla.edu

End of UNIX-WIZARDS Digest
From:  Mike Muuss (UNIX Wizards)  <unix-wizards-request@BRL.ARPA>
To:  archunix@almsa-1.arpa, foehner@almsa-1.arpa, zellich@almsa-1.arpa, gaspar@almsa-1.arpa, uwizards@almsa-1.arpa
Subject:  Resent digests...

[The following digests have been sent as Will Martin's request....]