[comp.unix.wizards] Sun 3 screen stops scrolling

WITLICKI%WILLIAMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (04/27/87)

Hi,
    Every so often when I'm using telnet from one of our
SUN 3's (running 3.2) to our VMS vax i ending up doing something
which results in the vax sending what I think are some vt100
escape sequences to the Sun 3.
    At that point the Sun screen stops scrolling and when the cursor
gets to the bottom of the screen it jumps to the top - just like
on an old Tektronix graphics scope (except it doesn't shift to the
right 20 columns).  I am *not* running suntools when this happens.
    Any ideas out there?

- randy      witlicki@williams.BITNET  <--- preferred and fastest
             rw@williams.edu       <--- CSNET phonenet

        "You're the reason our children are ugly"  - title of a song
              sung by Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (04/27/87)

In article <7119@brl-adm.ARPA>, WITLICKI%WILLIAMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU writes:
>... the Sun screen stops scrolling and when the cursor gets to the
>bottom of the screen it jumps to the top - just like on an old
>Tektronix graphics scope (except it doesn't shift to the right 20
>columns).

You have put the screen into `roll mode'.  Suns have a `roll mode'
and a `scroll mode'.  The sequence  ESC [ r  enters roll mode; the
sequence  ESC [ <n> s  enters scroll mode with the scroll line count
set to <n> (default 1).

It is perhaps unfortunate that the VT100's scrolling region command
uses the  ESC [ r  sequence.  This invariably confuses someone here
at least once a year.  (But it would not happen if people did not
keep claiming that their Suns are VT100s.  Not a good trade, if
you ask me :-) .)
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu