[comp.unix.wizards] wizard definition

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/01/87)

In article <7129@brl-adm.ARPA> dsill@NSWC-OAS.arpa writes:
> I saw something once that defined a wizard, [...] as someone who could
> write a device device driver using only the cat command.

	Along those lines, I once saw a place where /dev/tty.c was a link
to /dev/tty.  The idea was that to run quickie test programs, you just do
"cc /dev/tty.c" and type in your program followed by a ^D!  I suppose you
could type in a device driver but I'm not sure how you would work this into
your system Makefile.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/03/87)

>In article <7129@brl-adm.ARPA> dsill@NSWC-OAS.arpa writes:
>>... a wizard, [...] someone who could write a device driver
>>using only the cat command.

(You mean the cat editor? :-) )

In article <2654@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>... I once saw a place where /dev/tty.c was a link to /dev/tty.
>The idea was that to run quickie test programs, you just do "cc
>/dev/tty.c" and type in your program followed by a ^D!

	% ln -s /dev/tty foo.c
	% cc foo.c
	<code>
	^D

Actually, I prefer

	/lib/cpp | /lib/ccom | /lib/c2 | as -o foo.o

but this does not work on Suns.  Most often, though, a simple

	/lib/ccom

or if you need to see what the optimiser does,

	/lib/ccom | /lib/c2

suffices to test `features' like this one in the Sun compilers:

	f(){register char c= -1;register i;
	i=(int)(char)c;i=(int)(char)-1;i=(int)(char)(int)-1;}

which puts the values -1, 255, and -1 (respectively) into i.
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris