[comp.unix.wizards] dr11w "driver"

doug@wapsyvax.OZ (Doug Robb) (05/04/87)

I have a micro-vax, running Ultrix 1.2, which is about to have
a DR11w installed in it. This request bobs up every now and again
so here we go again ......
Has anyone got a "driver" for this card? I realize that people like
to say that there is no such thing as a dr11 driver (because it depends on
what hangs off the dr11) so let me say that what I really need to know
is how to control the dr11 and pass information back and forth.
How to ioctl through it?
This should be common to most (all?) people who have a dr11.
After doing this knocking up the driver for whatever device you have hanging
off it should be staightforward. In may case its a digital filter/frame store.
If somebody has such a beast would they be kind enough to
contact/send it to  me? Thanks in anticipation.

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (05/07/87)

I answer this question below, but first let me ask a related question:

	Does anyone have or know of a driver for the DR11W that will
	let you speak TCP/IP between Vaxen that each have the card?

	I know it can be done, because VMS/DECNet can do it.  I just
	need the driver...

In article <253@wapsyvax.OZ> doug@wapsyvax.OZ (Doug Robb) writes:
>Has anyone got a "driver" for this card? I realize that people like
>to say that there is no such thing as a dr11 driver (because it depends on
>what hangs off the dr11)

A DR-11W on a QBUS?  A similar device, maybe, but the exact same name as the
UNIBUS card?  That seems foolish on DEC's part, if so.

I have a driver for this card, meant to control an Ungermann-Bass MVC box.
MVC's are hard to find anymore, and the driver moved from src/sys/vaxuba to
src/old in the 4.2 -> 4.3 upgrade... If someone in this group will verify
that the source is PD, perhaps someone can mail it to you (me, even).

--
Paul A. Vixie        {ptsfa, crash, winfree}!vixie!paul
329 Noe Street       dual!ptsfa!vixie!paul@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU