[comp.unix.wizards] wtmp problem

todd@uhccux.UUCP (02/09/87)

I have a VAX 8650 running Ultrix 1.2 and just ran across a problem with
my wtmp file that puzzled me.  It seems that logins were not being
logged into the wtmp file as usual.  The wtmp file was not particularly
large (just over 100K) and was nulled eight days ago.  Everything else
on the system seemed fine.  I did a

	cp /dev/null /usr/adm/wtmp

to clear the log file and that seemed to restart logging properly.

Has anyone else running Ultrix or 4.2BSD had this problem with wtmp?

Any hints on what happened would be appreciated.  I've never seen this happen
before....todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <314@uhccux.UUCP> todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:
>I have a VAX 8650 running Ultrix 1.2 and just ran across a problem with
>my wtmp file that puzzled me.  It seems that logins were not being
>logged into the wtmp file as usual.  The wtmp file was not particularly
>large (just over 100K) and was nulled eight days ago.  Everything else
>on the system seemed fine.
>to clear the log file and that seemed to restart logging properly.
>Has anyone else running Ultrix or 4.2BSD had this problem with wtmp?
>Any hints on what happened would be appreciated.  I've never seen this happen
>before....todd
>
>Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center

Just noticed something similar here a day or two ago.  Actually, it looks
like wtmp is ok, but the last command is digging up garbage somewhere.
I haven't had time to dig into it yet.  We have also seen situations where
the user-id vs terminals reported by w are out of sync and talk seems to
go to the wrong person!

We're running Ultrix 1.2 on 750...

avolio@decuac.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <314@uhccux.UUCP>, todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:
> I have a VAX 8650 running Ultrix 1.2 and just ran across a problem with
> my wtmp file that puzzled me.  It seems that logins were not being
> logged into the wtmp file as usual.  The wtmp file was not particularly
> large (just over 100K) and was nulled eight days ago.

I am assuming that /usr was not over 97% or so used? (When you do a
"df /usr")  If this is the case it means that writing stoipped because
the fopen to append to /usr/adm/wtmp failed due to insufficient space.
If this is not the case, more information might be in order.  Drop me
a note with more info and if/when it gets solved you can summarize to
the net.

-Fred-
humu!nosc!sdcsvax!seismo!decuac!avolio
avolio@decuac.dec.com

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (05/05/87)

Has anyone else had a problem with their /usr/adm/wtmp file like what
I have below?  The output is from a quick and dirty program I wrote
to look at utmp and wtmp files.  As you can see my wtmp file was
getting data ok and then it looks like some garbage got thrown into
it causing an extra field to be inserted between the last "good"
structure field and the next entry into wtmp.

ut_line	ut_host  ut_name	ut_time
-------	-------  -------	-------
 ttyD1             ralph	Fri Apr  3 09:26:20 1987
 ttyB4          cm407s17	Fri Apr  3 09:26:39 1987
 ttyB1                  	Fri Apr  3 09:26:59 1987
 ttyp1                  	Fri Apr  3 09:28:32 1987
 ttyp1   UHCC20     gary	Fri Apr  3 09:28:49 1987
 ttyp1                  	Fri Apr  3 09:30:15 1987	/* good */
    ^B^C                  	Fri Jan  5 02:07:28 1945	/* bad */
^Mt ttyp1                  	Sun Apr 30 21:30:08 1950
^Mt ttyD1                  	Tue Dec 17 18:56:32 2002
^Nt ttyD1                  	Sat Dec 31 20:41:04 2011
^Nt ttyB3                  	Sun Apr 30 10:52:16 2034

The "fix" was to simply do a 'cp /dev/null /usr/adm/wtmp'.  But I'd like
a way to prevent it from happening again.  The problem has happened
about five times in the past five months.

System specifics: VAX 8650 running Ultrix 1.2.

Thanks in advance....todd

--
ARPA:		uhccux!todd@nosc.MIL
INTERNET:	todd@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU

In article <469@uhccux.UUCP> todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:

>Has anyone else had a problem with their /usr/adm/wtmp file like what
>I have below?  The output is from a quick and dirty program I wrote
>to look at utmp and wtmp files.  As you can see my wtmp file was
>getting data ok and then it looks like some garbage got thrown into
>it causing an extra field to be inserted between the last "good"
>structure field and the next entry into wtmp.

>System specifics: VAX 8650 running Ultrix 1.2.

I could have guessed...

This seems to be a frequently encountered Ultrix 1.2 problem.  I think both
utmp and wtmp get corrupted, since occasionally "w" will give bogus results.

My suspicion is that it is caused by "set hosts" from VMS, especially since the
problem here seems to have gone away with everyone now using our LAT terminal
servers or TCP facilities.

I don't know of any solution...  Fred, are your there?

Commodore, Engineering Department	fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonli
Fpe

hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (05/05/87)

	I have had the same experience, also under Ultrix1.2, but
on a uVaxII - I had allowed my wtmp to get to at least .3meg as I
was working on some accounting routines and I wanted to be able
to have a history to work with. When I went to use it I got similar
output with some network hostnames interspersed. Starting a new file
made it come out properly.
	No fix as yet...
hurf
--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf@CRNLION

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (05/06/87)

In article <1826@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes
>This seems to be a frequently encountered Ultrix 1.2 problem.  I think both
>utmp and wtmp get corrupted, since occasionally "w" will give bogus results.
>My suspicion is that it is caused by "set hosts" from VMS, especially since the
>problem here seems to have gone away with everyone now using our LAT terminal
>servers or TCP facilities.

In my case only wtmp was corrupted.  utmp was fine.
As a further potential clue.  We don't have any VMS VAXen connected to mine,
but there is a DEC-20 that several people SET HOST from (DEC-20 --> VAX).

I'll try to arrange a test where several people SET HOST from the DEC-20
to the VAX simultaneously and see if that causes wtmp to become corrupted
again.

Keep those hints coming in!  Appreciate any clues you can offer me..todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd
ARPA:		uhccux!todd@nosc.MIL
INTERNET:	todd@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (05/06/87)

I've seen it too - only under Ultrix 1.2 - and only with DECnet-Ultrix.
SET HOST may indeed be the culprit.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

sshurr%wellesley.edu@RELAY.CS.NET (05/07/87)

We also have the wtmp problem on our MicroVax II.  The garbage in the
wtmp file generally appears near an entry for ttyp0, ttyp1 etc. which
is what appears when someone does SET HOST from another system on the
DECNET.  I generally fix it by editing the wtmp file and removing the
3 offending bytes (always ^B ^C 0).  My impression is that these come
from the utmp file entry being copied into wtmp upon logout.  I'm
convinced it has nothing to do with the file system filling up.  I've
called Digital's software hotline about this and they generally have
an excuse such as "we couldn't recreate the problem".  I've been unable
to detect any pattern as to when the problem occurs.

Scott Shurr - Academic Computing   | internet: sshurr@wellesley.edu
Science Center, Wellesley College  | phone: 617-235-0320 X3262
Wellesley, MA 02181                |

howie@cunixc.UUCP (05/08/87)

We have been experiencing the same problem with on an 8650 running
Ultrix 1.2 -- It never seemed to happen in 1.1.   We also have people
using the decnet, to set host from DEC-20's.  It's only happened 3 or
4 times in the last year.  We haven't noticed any pattern either.

Howie Kaye				howie@cunixc.Columbia.EDU
Columbia University 			HKAUS@cuvma (bitnet)
Systems Group				{?}!seismo!columbia!cucca!howie

george@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (George R Boyce) (05/08/87)

One question. Has any of you who have reported this problem also
taken the time to submit the SPR to Digital? Sure, I know they
have people reading this list. But they don't submit the SPRs
for you and thus the problem will never make it into the offical
queue of things to be fixed. They have committed a lot of resources
to support and develop Ultrix. But to take advantage of it you
have to fill out that silly n-part form... (or use their dial-up
facility). (Oh yes, you also have to give them money every now
and then, but that is true of most companies :-).

phyllis@bcsaic.UUCP (Phyllis Melvin) (05/09/87)

In article <469@uhccux.UUCP> Todd writes:

>....As you can see my wtmp file was getting data ok
>and then it looks like some garbage got thrown into it

I've seen the same problem 6 or 8 times. The garbage inserted
is the same (/002/003/020) and it's always between records.
I was unable to find the cause so I wrote a program to examine
wtmp and fix such corruptions.

I'm also using Ultrix 1.2.
--
Phyllis Melvin		uucp:     ...uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!phyllis
(206)865-3210           arpanet:  phyllis@boeing.com

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (05/10/87)

In article <361@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu> george@vax1.UUCP (George R Boyce) writes:
>One question. Has any of you who have reported this problem also
>taken the time to submit the SPR to Digital? Sure, I know they

Yep....no help from them.  They can't duplicate the problem so they can't
help us solve it.  I must admit, though, that I can't duplicate the
problem either.  It happens now and then leaving no real clues as to
what the cause is....todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd
ARPA:		uhccux!todd@nosc.MIL
INTERNET:	todd@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU

johnsson@decwrl.DEC.COM (Richard Johnsson) (05/11/87)

Several people suggesting that DECnet/Ultrix might be involved was enough of
a hint to get me interested. I happened to have the DECnet/Ultrix sources
lying around so I looked at dlogind.

The dlogind version of rmut (the procedure everyone uses to update utmp and
wtmp) opens wtmp for write, seeks to the end, and then writes, rather than
opening for write+append as other programs (like rlogind) do. If I
understand the comments (from Chris Torek?) about writes crossing blocks,
having the file open for append should fix this problem.

I have reported the problem to the DECnet/Ultrix people (by totally
unofficial means :-). I'm afraid you won't see the fix until sometime after
2.0 since that's already in the can.
--
	Richard Johnsson, DEC Western Software Lab, Palo Alto, CA
	UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!johnsson

In article <9799@decwrl.DEC.COM> johnsson@decwrl.dec.com writes:
> Several people suggesting that DECnet/Ultrix might be involved was enough of
> a hint to get me interested...
>
> I have reported the problem to the DECnet/Ultrix people (by totally
> unofficial means :-). I'm afraid you won't see the fix until sometime after
> 2.0 since that's already in the can.
>
> 	Richard Johnsson, DEC Western Software Lab, Palo Alto, CA

Well, I'd like to say thanks to Richard for taking the initiative on this.
It sounds like it shouldn't be too hard to fix with a little adb action,
but my first efforts have been frustrated by the object file being stripped.
Some nice quiet day soon... 8-)