[comp.unix.wizards] what to call a female wizard

MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (GREENY) (04/26/87)

Checking in my handy dandy thesaurus under Wizard I found nothing....:-( but
under wizardry I found some stuff.  How about calling her a

Sorceress?

Bye for now but not for long
Greeny

Bitnet: MISS026@ECNCDC
Internet: MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (04/27/87)

Baby.

dsill@NSWC-OAS.arpa (04/27/87)

What is the definition of "wizard", particularly in the UNIX sense?

I saw something once that defined a wizard, or was it a guru, (are they the
same?) as someone who could write a device device driver using only the cat
command.

-Dave Sill
 dsill@nswc-oas.arpa

artm@phred.UUCP (04/27/87)

Hackerette??

                                                              Art Marriott
The preceding drivel is posted without the knowledge, consent or agreement of
my employer and/or associates.  My employer provides this network connection
without supervision or censure and is not responsible for the content or the
possible consequences of anything transmitted herein except as specifically
stated.

jdia@ur-tut.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <7111@brl-adm.ARPA> MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (GREENY) writes:
>Checking in my handy dandy thesaurus under Wizard I found nothing....:-( but
>under wizardry I found some stuff.  How about calling her a
>
>Sorceress?

I am quite sure that this would be improper.  "Sorceress" is the female form
of "Sorcerer", meaning a magician or conjurer.  A "Wizard" is defined as a wise
person, learned in many areas, usually including, but not limited to magic.  The
"Wizards" of folklore were most likely not really magicians, but early
scientists/alchemists, or something of the sort.  This would account for the
apparent fact that the word "Wizard" is a noun derived from "wise."  Since it
does not end in "er" or "ess" it is probably neuter.

To make a long story short, I believe that there is no difference between the
male and female forms.  Male and Female alike are WIZARDS!

Besides, who really cares that there is no female form????!!!  There should
be absolutely no difference.  :-)

				Wowbagger...

--
A message from WOWBAGGER THE INFINITELY PROLONGED
"You're a jerk Dent.  A complete kneebiter..."

jeff@rtech.UUCP (04/28/87)

in article <7112@brl-adm.ARPA>, rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) says:

> Baby.

No.  The best thing to call her is whatever she wants to be called.
I have never met a woman who wants to be called "baby".  It's demeaning,
pure and simple.

Really, if you want to talk about a woman's UNIX wizardry, what's wrong with
"wizard"?

Baby?  Sheesh.  What do you call a man who calls women "baby"?
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (04/28/87)

In article <7129@brl-adm.ARPA> dsill@NSWC-OAS.arpa writes:
>What is the definition of "wizard", particularly in the UNIX sense?
>
>I saw something once that defined a wizard, or was it a guru, (are they the
>same?) as someone who could write a device device driver using only the cat
>command.

This came in one of the misc groups last October; I didn't save the header
so I must apologize to the author.

NAME		DESCRIPTION AND FEATURES

beginner	- insecure with the concept of a terminal
		- has yet to learn the basics of vi
		- has not figured out how to get a directory
		- still has trouble with typing <RETURN>
		  after each line of input

novice		- knows that "ls" will produce a directory
		- uses the editor, but calls it "vye"
		- has heard of "C" but never used it
		- has had a bad experience with rm
		- is wondering how to read mail
		- is wondering why the person next door
		  seems to like Unix so very much

user		- uses vi and nroff, but inexpertly
		- has heard of regular expressions but never seen one.
		- has figured out that '-' precedes options
		- has attempted to write a C program but decided
		  to stick with Pascal
		- is wondering how to move a directory
		- thinks that dbx is a brand of stereo component
		- knows how to read mail and is wondering how
		  to read the news

knowledgeable	- uses nroff with no trouble, and is beginning
user		  to learn tbl and eqn
		- uses grep to search for fixed strings
		- has figured out that mv(1) will move directories
		- has learned that "learn" doesn't help
		- somebody has shown her how to write C programs
		- once used sed but checked the file afterward
		- watched somebody use dbx once
		- tried "make" but used spaces instead of tabs

expert		- uses sed when necessary
		- uses macros in vi, uses ex when necessary
		- posts news at every possible opportunity
		- is still wondering how to successfully reply to mail
		- writes csh scripts occasionally
		- writes C programs using vi and compiles with make
		- has figured out what && and || are for
		- uses fgrep because somebody said it was faster

hacker		- uses sed and awk with comfort
		- uses undocumented features of vi
		- writes C code with "cat >" and compiles with "!cc"
		- uses adb because she doesn't trust source debuggers
		- figured out how environment variables are propagated
		- writes her own nroff macros to supplement the standard
		  ones
		- writes Bourne shell scripts
		- installs bug fixes from the net
		- uses egrep because she timed it

guru		- uses m4 and lex with comfort
		- writes assembler code with "cat >"
		- uses adb on the kernel while the system is loaded
		- customizes Unix utilities by patching the source
		- reads device driver source with breakfast
		- uses "ed" because "ex" is a Berkeleyism
		- can answer any unix question after a little thought
		- uses make for anything that requires two or more commands
		- has learned how to breach security but no longer
		  needs to try
		- is putting James Woods/Henry Spencer egrep into her
		  next Unix release

wizard		- writes device drivers with "cat >"
		- fixes bugs by patching the binaries
		- posts her changes to Unix utilities to the net --
		  and they work
		- can tell what question you are about to ask, and answer it
		- writes her own troff macro packages
		- is on a first-name basis with Dennis, Bill, and Ken
--
	Amos Shapir
National Semiconductor (Israel)

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (04/28/87)

In article <7129@brl-adm.ARPA> dsill@NSWC-OAS.arpa writes:
>What is the definition of "wizard", particularly in the UNIX sense?
>
>I saw something once that defined a wizard, or was it a guru, (are they the
>same?) as someone who could write a device device driver using only the cat
>command.
>
>-Dave Sill
> dsill@nswc-oas.arpa

I found this list of definitions once.  You might find it helpful :-)

BEGINNER
- insecure with the concept of a terminal
- has yet to learn the basics of 'vi'
- hasn't figured out yet how to get a directory
- still has trouble with typing <RETURN> at the end of each line

NOVICE
- knows that 'ls' will produce a directory
- uses the editor, but calls it 'vye'
- has heard of 'C' but never used it
- has had his first bad experience with 'rm'
- is wondering how to read his mail
- is wondering why the person next to him seem to like Unix so much

USER
- uses 'vi' and 'nroff', but inexpertly
- has heard of 'regular-expression' but never seen one
- uses 'egrep' to search for fixed strings
- has figured out that '-' precedes options
- is wondering how to move a directory
- has attempted to write a 'C' program and decided to stick with pascal
- thinks that 'dbx' is a brand of stereo component
- knows how to read his mail and wonders how to read news

KNOWLEDGEABLE USER
- uses 'nroff' without trouble, and is beginning to learn 'tbl'
	and 'eqn'
- thinks that 'fgrep' is 'fast grep'
- has figured out that 'mv' will move directories
- has learned that 'learn' doesn't help
- someone has shown him how to write 'C' programs
- once used 'sed' to do some text substitution
- has seen 'dbx' used but doesn't use it himself
- thinks that 'make' is for wimps

EXPERT
- uses 'sed' when necessary
- uses macros in 'vi', uses 'ex' when necessary
- posts news at every possible opportunity
- writes 'csh' scripts occasionally
- writes 'C' programs with 'vi' and compiles them with 'cc'
- has figured out what '&&' and '||' are for
- thinks that human history started with '!h'

HACKER
- uses 'sed' and 'awk' with comfort
- uses undocumented features of 'vi'
- writes 'C' code with 'cat > ' and compiles with '!cc'
- use 'adb' because he doesn't trust source debuggers
- can answer questions about the user environment
- writes his own 'nroff' macros to supplement standard ones
- writes scripts for Bourne shell

GURU
- uses 'm4' and 'lex' with comfort
- writes assembly code with 'cat > '
- uses 'adb' on the kernel while the system is loaded
- customizes utilities by patching the source
- reads device driver source with his breakfast
- can answer any Unix question after a little thought
- uses 'make' for anything requiring two or more distinct
	commands to achieve
- has learned how to breach security, but no longer needs to try

WIZARD
- writes device drivers with 'cat >'
- fixes bugs by patching the binaries
- can answer any question before you ask
- writes his own 'troff' macro packages
- is on a first-name basis with Dennis, Bill and Ken

Share & enjoy.
					Bob Halloran, Consultant, ATT ISL
UUCP: rutgers!mtune!rkh				DDD: (201)251-7514 eve ET
Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization,          it expects what never was and never will be." -- Thomas Jefferson

kjd@rust.UUCP (04/29/87)

At my former place of work we had a female Sendmail Wizard.

I added a new alaises akin to Postmaster which was "Postmistress"

-Kevin

MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (GREENY) (04/30/87)

Well, seeing as how I got some responses to my "re: what to call
a female wizard" that werent tooooo favorable I decided to ponder a bit
on my front porch (actually the cafeteria....) and came up with this...

    "MADAM" or "Your Holiness"

(I figure it works for people in the army and queens throughout history
why not here? :-> )

On the flipside......I wonder if this question has been posed at any other
time throughout the span of human existence.....or are we the first,
the hackerish types on UNIX-WIZARDS, to ask this question.....

Bye for now but not for long...
Greeny

Bitnet:MISS026@ECNCDC
Internet: MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

"Which came first? The chicken or the egg?"

Disclaimer: What? Who? Me? Nope....not me...you *MUST* have the wrong guy....

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (04/30/87)

   I have never met a woman who wants to be called "baby".

Well, my wife likes it, but only from me.

   Baby?  Sheesh.  What do you call a man who calls women "baby"?

A clown. You take things too seriously. See Dave Curry's response.
Actually, I was beginning to feel like I was being ignored, so
thanks for your posting.

   Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
   "Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

   {amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
   {ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

	(Root Boy) Jim "Just Say Yes" Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	Are we THERE yet?  My MIND is a SUBMARINE!!

schaefer@bgsuvax.UUCP (04/30/87)

In article <7112@brl-adm.ARPA>, rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) writes:
> Baby.

Tsk, tsk.  You should never belittle a wizard of any gender (if you
know what's good for you :-).  I thought that by now "wizard" had been
neutered, but if you insist on the original usage, my thesaurus gives
an alternative which I would be happy to apply to any of the wizard
women I have met: charmer.
--
	Stephen P. Schaefer
	Systems Programmer

matt@srs.UUCP (04/30/87)

Around here, we call them "ugly".

				Please don't flame me,
				as Dave says, "It's just a joke!"

--
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
- UUCP:	{allegra,seismo}!rochester!srs!matt		Matt Goheen	 _

arnold@apollo.UUCP (05/01/87)

In article <789@rtech.UUCP> Jeff Lichtman writes:
>In article <7112@brl-adm.ARPA>, Root Boy Jim says:
>> Baby.
>No.  The best thing to call her is whatever she wants to be called.
>I have never met a woman who wants to be called "baby".  It's demeaning,
>pure and simple.
>
>Baby?  Sheesh.  What do you call a man who calls women "baby"?

How about "a baby"?

		Ken Arnold

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) (05/01/87)

>USER
>- uses 'vi' and 'nroff', but inexpertly
>- has heard of 'regular-expression' but never seen one
>- uses 'egrep' to search for fixed strings

What's wrong with this one?
--
"One day I shall come back.  Yes, I shall come back.  Until then, there should
be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.  Just go forward in all your beliefs and

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701@JHUVM, INS_AKAA@JHUVMS, INS_AKAA@JHUNIX
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: {allegra!hopkins, seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!whuxcc} !jhunix!ins_akaa
Copyright 1987 by Ken Arromdee.  Distribution of this article by electronic
     means constitutes permission for its recipients to distribute it likewise.
(The NSA, CIA, and FBI conspire to smuggle Reagan drugs via Iran and Nicaragua.)

kimcm@olamb.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) (05/04/87)

In article <4804@jhunix.UUCP>, ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) writes:
> >- uses 'egrep' to search for fixed strings
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> What's wrong with this one?

Nobody said there was anything wrong! Just that the user never had come
to the level of using RE's (= Regular Expresso (-;) yet.

					Regards
					Kim Chr. Madsen
					kimcm@olamb.uucp

arnold@apollo.UUCP (05/05/87)

In article <154@srs.UUCP> matt@srs.UUCP (Matt Goheen) writes:
>Around here, we call them "ugly".
>				Please don't flame me,
>				as Dave says, "It's just a joke!"

It's a pretty insulting and degrading kind of joke.  One which you
could probably have avoided making.  So why did you decide to insult
all the female UNIX wizards?  Could it be because you are childish and
sexist, or possibly threatened?  Jokes like this are the kind of thing
which women complain make them feel unwelcome in technical fields.

At least the person who posed the question was only guilty of not
looking it up in a dictionary, and probably meant no sexism.  Your
response offends me, and probably most people who know that
intelligence does not correlate with genitalia or other sexual
charactersitics.

		Ken Arnold

keith@seismo.UUCP (05/06/87)

I'm not the flaming type.  But... I feel the 40 or so articles we've seen
on female wizard naming could fairly be described as "beating a dead horse".
So.  Be that as it may, my personal inclination upon receiving the next
article from someone informing me that s/he calls female wizards "foo" or
from someone informing me that s/he is horrified at the total insensitivity
of any sexist slime who could call a female wizard "bar" will probably be to
immerse myself in work, particularly in that part of my job wittily referred
to as "mailer saturation testing using uuencoded copies of emacs".

--keith

wagner@iaoobelix.UUCP (05/08/87)

Maybe we should call both male and female wizards `baby' then (:-)...

So long,
Juergen Wagner (unido!iaoobel!wagner).

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (05/09/87)

>USER
>- uses 'egrep' to search for fixed strings
What should he use?  Of the standard commands, egrep is often the
fastest.  I timed fgrep, grep, and egrep searching uts/os/*, and
egrep was the fastest.

>- is wondering how to move a directory

Some of us Wizards can be confused by that, too.  Especially if we
find ourselves on a system without fsdb :-)

>- thinks that 'dbx' is a brand of stereo component
He will be really confused when I get around to writting my
debugger ( Dynamic On-Line Bug Yanker for C ) !

>GURU
>- uses 'm4' and 'lex' with comfort
What!?  Real guru's whip out their own lexical analyzers.  Lex? Bah humbug!

>- reads device driver source with his breakfast
No one past the EXPERT level would be awake in time for breakfast!
--
Tim Smith		"Learn to juggle while it's still legal"
sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim

mitch@stride1.UUCP (05/16/87)

Well I asked here and:

	Sorceress -- May be OK.

For sure these are wrong.
	lizard (Lady Wizard)
	gizzard (girl wizard)

Flames please so I can cook my lizard and gizzard.

Thomas P. Mitchell (mitch@stride1.Stride.COM)
Phone:	(702) 322-6868 TWX:	910-395-6073
MicroSage Computer Systems Inc. a Division of Stride Micro.
Opinions expressed are probably mine.