[comp.unix.wizards] SXTs files

kaplan%BIMACS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (05/07/87)

To: comp-unix-wizard
Subject: SXTs
Bcc:

        Does some one knows what is the device major number of the
        SXTs files
        I work on System V under Tower machine and when I tryed to
        install the shl(1) I had problems because of the fact that
        the computer doesn't know the major device number

                 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME ?!?!?!?!?!?

                        Thanks in advance

          - --  -  -  - ---> BALDER <----  -  --  -  -     -

.-------------------,
|                   |
|   kaplan@bimacs   |
|                   |
`-------------------'

mechjgh@tness1.UUCP (8753) (05/09/87)

In article <7283@brl-adm.ARPA> kaplan%BIMACS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Arik Kaplan) writes:

>        Does some one knows what is the device major number of the
>        SXTs files
>        I work on System V under Tower machine and when I tryed to
>        install the shl(1) I had problems because of the fact that
>        the computer doesn't know the major device number

To get the major device numbers, run the -t option on the config file:

config -t /kernel/tower/cf/config.cf  (or whatever your config file is named)

Assuming you have added an entry in the config.cf files something like:

sxt	0	0	0	8

and the major device number is 27, here is a sample shell to install the
sxt nodes in /dev:

---<cut here>------
major=27
minor=0
cd /dev
mkdir sxt
chmod 755 sxt
for link in 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
do
for chan in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
do
echo ${minor} ${link}${chan}
mknod sxt${link}${chan} c ${major} ${minor}
ln sxt${link}${chan} sxt/${link}${chan}
minor=`expr ${minor} + 1`
done
done
---<cut here>------
--
Greg Hackney (713+521-8753)
Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.

UUCP: ihnp4!tness1!mechjgh

There's no future in time travel

david@dhw68k.UUCP (David H. Wolfskill) (05/09/87)

In article <7283@brl-adm.ARPA>, kaplan%BIMACS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Arik Kaplan) writes:
> [...]
>         Does some one knows what is the device major number of the
>         SXTs files
>         I work on System V under Tower machine and when I tryed to
>         install the shl(1) I had problems because of the fact that
>         the computer doesn't know the major device number

As I indicated in the Summary:, on this machine, the major device
numbers in question show up as 12 (by issuing "ls -lg /dev/sxt*") --
which also corresponds with the position of the sxt??? devices in the
"cdevsw" array of structures in /usr/src/sys/conf/conf.c.

My understanding is that UniStride is supposed to be compatible with
the NCR Tower series; I am not at *all* certain that the device
numbers would necessarily be the same.  (Internal consistency, however,
is a rather different issue....)

Hope you find this helpful; if I can be of fruther assistance, please
feel free to mail directly.

david
--
David H. Wolfskill   uucp: ...{trwrb | hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!david

wescott@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (05/12/87)

In article <7283@brl-adm.ARPA> kaplan%BIMACS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Arik Kaplan) writes:
>         Does some one knows what is the device major number of the
>         SXTs files
>         I work on System V under Tower machine
From an NCR Tower32 (Tower32/600 is the new numbering/naming scheme):

crw--w--w-  2 wescott   27,   0 May 12 10:37 /dev/sxt000
crw--w--w-  2 wescott   27,   1 May 12 10:37 /dev/sxt001
crw--w--w-  2 wescott   27,   2 May 12 10:37 /dev/sxt002
crw--w--w-  2 wescott   27,   3 May 12 10:37 /dev/sxt003
crw--w--w-  2 wescott   27,   4 May 12 10:37 /dev/sxt004
crw--w--w-  2 wescott   27,   5 May 12 10:37 /dev/sxt005
crw--w--w-  2 wescott   27,   6 May 12 10:37 /dev/sxt006
crw--w--w-  2 wescott   27,   7 May 12 10:37 /dev/sxt007

The major number is 27. This info is also available in /etc/master:

sxt	0	37	44	sxt	0	0	27	8	0

These numbers are valid for the TowerXP as well.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

brandon@tdi2.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (05/16/87)

Quoted from <7283@brl-adm.ARPA> ["SXTs files"], by kaplan%BIMACS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Arik Kaplan)...
+---------------
|         Does some one knows what is the device major number of the
|         SXTs files
|         I work on System V under Tower machine and when I tryed to
|         install the shl(1) I had problems because of the fact that
|         the computer doesn't know the major device number
+---------------

You're out of luck; your kernel doesn't support SXT devices.  (Neither does
mine.  I finally got a chance to use shl recently, and now I'm royally p*ssed
at our computer company; it may not be perfect, but it's FAR better than
nothing at all!)

++Brando
--
Brandon S. Allbery	           UUCP: cbatt!cwruecmp!ncoast!tdi2!brandon
Tridelta Industries, Inc.         CSNET: ncoast!allbery@Case

wescott@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (05/20/87)

In article <355@tdi2.UUCP> brandon@tdi2.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
> Quoted from <7283@brl-adm.ARPA> ["SXTs files"], by kaplan%BIMACS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Arik Kaplan)...
> +---------------
> |         Does some one knows what is the device major number of the
> |         SXTs files
> |         I work on System V under Tower machine
> +---------------
> You're out of luck; your kernel doesn't support SXT devices.  (Neither does
> mine.

Don't be so hasty...his kernel DOES support SXT's and shl.  It was made
available on the NCR Tower with one of the early updates to release 3.0
of the OS.  And it is still supported on current releases of the TowerXP
and Tower32.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

jimpa@f103a.UUCP (jimpa) (05/22/87)

When sxt was released for the Towers it turned out that some of the
first distribution-tapes did not modify the corresponding SA-menus.

If your installation is correct, there should be a menu under system
reconfiguration that is called "Shell layers".
That should do all the dirty work for you.

--
Jim Svensson/FRI		(jimpa@f103a.UUCP)