[comp.unix.wizards] Ultrix32m 1.1 on MicroVaxII

cew@venera.isi.EDU (05/26/87)

Greetings!

I am running into multiple problems with a MicroVaxII currently running
Ultrix32m v1.1.  I hope to get some useful suggestions from the list.

First problem: the kernel keeps writing "Login limit reached" to
/usr/adm/messages.  I have a hard time believing this because it usually
just has one user (me) on it.  This problem is interfering with the
operator backups.  The kernel is configured for 32 users (was 16).  Any
ideas what this really means?

The next problem deals with MMDF mail daemons: they fail to startup on
reboot.  The echo messages from rc.local do state that the mmdf daemons
are starting, but they are never there when I login.  They startup fine
from the root command shell.  (Could this cause the "Login limit"
problem above?  These processes are associated with a tty.)

I don't intend to stay with Ultrix 1.1.  Does anyone have any experience
with 4.3bsd or Ultrix 2.0 on mVaxII's?  I have tried building a 4.3
kernel from our Mt. Xinu 4.3 distribution but these kernels will not
come up single-user.  (Mt. Xinu seems to be missing one driver (device
qv -- isn't that the console monitor?).  Are there substitutes?)

To reiterate, my current choices are Mt. Xinu 4.3bsd or Ultrix 2.0.  I
would certainly be interested in hearing the pros and cons of both (or
even other alternatives).

		Thanks,

		Craig

ARPA: 	cew@venera.isi.edu
PHONE:	(213)822-1511 ext. 111
USPS:	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 1100
	Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"

pdb@sei.cmu.edu.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <7539@brl-adm.ARPA> cew@venera.isi.EDU (Craig E. Ward) writes:
>First problem: the kernel keeps writing "Login limit reached" to
>/usr/adm/messages.  I have a hard time believing this because it usually
>just has one user (me) on it.  This problem is interfering with the
>operator backups.  The kernel is configured for 32 users (was 16).  Any
>ideas what this really means?

The setting of MAXUSERS in your config file has no relation to the maximum
number of users that you're licensed for.  This is hardwired into the kernel,
and with Ultrix-32m 1.1, I believe this limit is 2.

>I don't intend to stay with Ultrix 1.1.  Does anyone have any experience
>with 4.3bsd or Ultrix 2.0 on mVaxII's?  I have tried building a 4.3
>kernel from our Mt. Xinu 4.3 distribution but these kernels will not
>come up single-user.  (Mt. Xinu seems to be missing one driver (device
>qv -- isn't that the console monitor?).  Are there substitutes?)

The qv device is for the display, which becomes your console if you have
one.  If you're willing to lose the display, you could put a terminal
on the console serial port, and that would become your console, and things
*should* work.  But you'd probably rather keep the display, right?  Maybe
you should call Mt. Xinu; they might have a driver for that device.

We have Ultrix 2.0 running on a couple of MicroVAXen, with NFS talking to
some Suns, and it seems to be working out pretty well.

--Pat.

avolio@decuac.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <7539@brl-adm.ARPA> cew@venera.isi.EDU (Craig E. Ward) writes:

>I am running into multiple problems with a MicroVaxII currently running
>Ultrix32m v1.1.  I hope to get some useful suggestions from the list.

>First problem: the kernel keeps writing "Login limit reached" to
>/usr/adm/messages.  ... The kernel is configured for 32 users (was 16).  Any
>ideas what this really means?

The software has to be licensed for more than 2 users.  I suspect that
yours is not and this is the problem here.  The maxusers in the config
file allows you to LOWER the number of users allowed on (lower from
the licensed max) but not raise it higher than that for which you are
licensed.

Understand -- I am not saying your are trying to break your license.  I
just suspect you have the wrong version or did not get a capacity
upgrade kit.

By the way, the maximum number of users on is that max number of
unique users.  So, to test this out, set up a bunch of test accounts,
and log on to different ones until you get an error message from Login
"Too many users logged on already".  You should get this after 2
unique users on at the same time if this is your problem.

>The next problem deals with MMDF mail daemons: they fail to startup on
>reboot.  The echo messages from rc.local do state that the mmdf daemons
>are starting, but they are never there when I login...

This sounds like a different problem.  Modify the lines in rc.local
to catch standard error into a file to see what is happening.  (It'd
also be interesting to see the command line(s) out of the rc.local
that is trying to start this up.  My *blind* suspicion:  mmdf wants to
be started from a tty and the way it is kicked off in your rc.local it
is orphaned from any tty.  Just a WAG.

>I don't intend to stay with Ultrix 1.1.  Does anyone have any experience
>with 4.3bsd or Ultrix 2.0 on mVaxII's?  ...

Go with Ultrix 2.0.  But then, I'm a bit prejudiced.

Fred