[comp.unix.wizards] Help needed: NFS on MicroVaxen

mark@osupyr.UUCP (Mark Welch) (05/27/87)

HELP! We are running(?) NFS under 4.3BSD between/among three VaxStation II's.
biod's, when started (in quantity 4, as per Sun manual), instantly hang.
Small files ( < 4096 bytes ) can be NFSsed with impunity and glee; larger
files cannot.  Error messages: NFS server (name) not responding, giving up;
NFS read failed for server (name), TIMED OUT.  biod's restarted as per Sun
manual, with NO effect, even temporary.  After biod's remain inactive for
20 secs., they are swapped out.  nfsd's accumulate CPU time, so does portmap;
biod's (to belabor the obvious) do not.

ANY and all advice welcome including bugs and rumors of bugs, oversights in
kernel configuration, etc.

Please reply by email as I don't get much of a chance to read the news.

Frank Wilhoit ( artsvax!wilhoit@osupyr.uucp or cbosgd!osupyr!artsvax!mark )
and/or Mark Welch ( mark@osupyr.uucp or cbosgd!osupyr!{mark,artsvax!mark} )

`Wooden stakes and mallets? No, don't tell me ... I don't want to know...'
- Mark Welch / 1528 Neil Ave #C / Columbus OH 43201-2341 / 614 299 1297      -
- UUCP: cbosgd!osupyr!mark                                                   -
-       {cbosgd, cbatt}!osu-eddie!osupyr!mark                                -
- Any email under 200 degrees greatly appreciated.                           -
- `More bowling balls, man! More bowling balls!'                             -

jgd@pollux.UUCP (05/29/87)

In article <334@osupyr.UUCP> mark@osupyr.UUCP (Mark Welch) writes:

>HELP! We are running(?) NFS under 4.3BSD between/among three VaxStation II's.
>biod's, when started (in quantity 4, as per Sun manual), instantly hang.
>Small files ( < 4096 bytes ) can be NFSsed with impunity and glee; larger
>files cannot.  Error messages: NFS server (name) not responding, giving up;
>NFS read failed for server (name), TIMED OUT.  biod's restarted as per Sun
>manual, with NO effect, even temporary.  After biod's remain inactive for
>20 secs., they are swapped out.  nfsd's accumulate CPU time, so does portmap;
>biod's (to belabor the obvious) do not.

     We have a 750 Vax running 4.2bsd UNIX and had a similiar problem when
connecting to some Suns and Convergent Technology MiniFrames. The problem
turned out that the "trailers" option was being used on the Vax and the other
machines did not understand this option. At the end of rc I inserted the line:

/etc/ifconfig ex0 `hostname` up -trialers

and the problem went away.

  ****    ** **    *    *    James George Dunham
 *       *  *  *   *    *    Department of Electrical Engineering
  ***    *  *  *   *    *    Southern Methodist University
     *   *     *   *    *    Dallas, Texas  75275
 ****    *     *    ****     (214)-692-2812

UUCP: {seismo, cbosgd, ihnp4, sun!convex, allegra!convex}!ndmce!pollux!jgd
CSNET: pollux!jgd@smu