[comp.unix.wizards] Problem in Ultrix 1.2 to 4.3BSD conversion

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (Jacob Gore) (06/10/87)

I am trying to bring up 4.3bsd on a MicroVAX II which
is currently running Ultrix 1.2. I made the kernel on a
785 and shipped it to the uVAX via our ethernet.

The problem:  4.3 comes up fine to single user mode. But
when I run /etc/fsck (this is the 4.3 fsck binary), it
complains about
 "BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
  USE -b OPTION TO FSCK TO SPECIFY LOCATION OF AN ALTERNATE
  SUPER BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; SEE fsck(8)."

I tried running "fsck -b 32 -y", but that doesn't help. I cannot
mount(8) those file systems either, because /etc/mount complains
about "Bogus Super Block". The surprising thing here is that when
I boot off my ultrix kernel, the ultrix fsck complains about a few
minor things but it does not give the message about a BAD SUPER
BLOCK. I am able to mount those file systems and come up multiuser
in Ultrix, but the 4.3 fsck warns me about BAD SUPER BLOCKs and
refuses to mount file systems.

How can I fix this ? Do I have to mkfs those file systems just so
that I can switch to 4.3 ? I thought that 4.3 file systems and Ultrix
file systems were compatible (except for directories being a multiple
of 512 bytes in 4.3).

I get the BAD SUPER BLOCK messages on the g and h partitions of
an ra81 (hanging off a uda50 controller).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jacob Gore
Northwestern University, Computer Science Research Lab
{gargoyle,ihnp4,chinet}!nucsrl!gore
gore@EECS.NWU.Edu (for now, only from ARPA)

amos@instable.UUCP (06/12/87)

This problem may be bothering many installations, so I'm posting
rather than replying:

In article <3690005@nucsrl.UUCP> gore@nucsrl.UUCP (Jacob Gore) writes:
>I am trying to bring up 4.3bsd on a MicroVAX II which
>is currently running Ultrix 1.2.
[ Describing not being able to fsck or mount Ultrix's fs on 4.3 ]
>How can I fix this ? Do I have to mkfs those file systems just so
>that I can switch to 4.3 ? I thought that 4.3 file systems and Ultrix
>file systems were compatible (except for directories being a multiple
>of 512 bytes in 4.3).
>
>I get the BAD SUPER BLOCK messages on the g and h partitions of
>an ra81 (hanging off a uda50 controller).

What's incompatible is not the fs, but the uda/ra81 drivers. There are
several versions of these drivers floating around, which differ by the
way the partitions are assigned within the disk. The 4.3 driver has
the sizes and offsets table in the source of uda.c. Some Ultrix versions
(I don't know which) read this information off the disk when opening.

In any case, make sure your new driver aggrees with the old one about that;
it's rather easy to change the table in the 4.3 driver (assuming you have the
source); make sure /etc/disktab is also changed accordingly.

Note also that you cannot have different types of partitioning on one
4.3 system; if you have to, you'll have to define one of them as a new
type of device, with its own driver (which, with little hacking, can be
actually the same driver).

Good Luck - May the Source be with you!
--
	Amos Shapir