[comp.unix.wizards] rc

luttinen@umn-cs.UUCP (06/19/87)

Cd stands for change directory, ls stands for lists, vi stands for visual,
but what does rc stand for?  As used in .newsrc, /etc/rc, .cshrc, etcrc.

				Jim Luttinen
				rutgers!meccts!umn-cs!luttinen
				luttinen@umn-cs.ARPA

rwhite@nu3b2.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <1665@umn-cs.UUCP>, luttinen@umn-cs.UUCP (Jim Luttinen) writes:
> Cd stands for change directory, ls stands for lists, vi stands for visual,
> but what does rc stand for?  As used in .newsrc, /etc/rc, .cshrc, etcrc.
>
> 				Jim Luttinen

It may be a stupid guess, but my minimal investigation of the subject has
seggusted "run control" or "run-state control" as the definition for
rc.

Even if this guess is wrong, it SOUNDS good.

Robert.

Disclaimer:  My mind is so fragmented by random excursions into a
	wilderness of abstractions and incipient ideas that the
	practical purposes of the moment are often submerged in
	my consciousness and I don't know what I'm doing.
		[my employers cirtanily have no idea]