[comp.unix.wizards] set[ug]id and sticy bits on dirs

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (06/21/87)

In article <1715@munnari.oz> kre@munnari.oz (Robert Elz) writes:
(with regard to mode bits on a symbolic link)
>access its value in a path lookup.  I have ideas for the set[ug]id
>bits, and I'm sure a meaning for sticky will come to me!  I would like

OK, so what meanings attach to set[ug]id and sticky bits when applied
to the mode of a directory or the mode of a device file?

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (06/22/87)

> OK, so what meanings attach to set[ug]id and sticky bits when applied
> to the mode of a directory or the mode of a device file?

One system I maintained (running a Unisoft port) used the sticky bit
on a 777 directory to mean "anyone can create a file here, but only
the owner can delete it". This was used on /tmp and /usr/tmp.

This would be useful in a number of situations. On our MiniFrame,
/usr/spool/uucp must be 777 in order for cu(1) to create and
unlink the lock files for the port, despite the fact that the
damn thing runs suid to root :-(  Therefore, it is possible for
anyone to bounce in and type "rm -f" ...  Having the sticky bit
mod available for this directory would go a long ways towards
fixing this rather blatent hole.