[comp.unix.wizards] signals

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (06/27/87)

In article <492@its63b.ed.ac.uk> simon@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Simon Brown) writes:
>One really nasty bug that really needs fixing fast is that the so-called
>"safe signal" mechanism is anything but! If I send 5 SIGINT signals to a
>process, there is no guarentee that that process will receive them all - ok,
>it will certainly receive at least one, but whether it receives 2,3,4 or 5
>is pretty much left to chance!

This is exactly analagous to hardware interrupts, or at least, to those
on PDP-11s and Vaxen.  The software signal mechanism is quite obviously
modelled upon these, even to the extent of having separate interrupt
stacks.

(Personally, I think I would prefer queued signals.)
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris