[comp.unix.wizards] symbolic links and tcsh

carllp@diku.UUCP (Carl-Lykke Pedersen) (06/25/87)

Re: All the stuff about symbolic links, I send part of the manual
for tcsh (a very good shell!!!!!).

NAME
     tcsh - C shell with file name completion and command line
     editing

[...]

DESCRIPTION
     Tcsh is an	enhanced version of the	Berkeley UNIX C	shell csh
     (1). It behaves like the C	shell, except for the added util-
     ities of:

[...]

OTHER THINGS
     Symbolic links to directories are no longer a one-way trap-
     door, i.e.	 the parent directory link .. will reference the
     directory the symbolic link is in,	not the	actual parent
     directory.	The actual parent directory is referenced by ./..
     instead.  This works only in the builtin directory	changing
     commands, i.e. cd,	chdir, pushd, pd, and popd. If you want
     to	set the	shell's	idea of	the current path to be the
     correct absolute path, use	the new	builtin	pwd with the -s
     option.

[...]

ht@unisol.UUCP (Haral Tsitsivas) (06/27/87)

In article <3294@diku.UUCP>  carllp@diku.UUCP (Carl-Lykke Pedersen) writes:
>     Symbolic links to directories are no longer a one-way trap-
>     door, i.e.	 the parent directory link .. will reference the
>     directory the symbolic link is in,	not the	actual parent
>     directory....

Now, this does not look like any of the tcsh versions I have seen
or worked with...

Where did you get your tcsh from anyway?  Not that I want it, but curious...

--Haral Tsitsivas

carllp@diku.UUCP (Carl-Lykke Pedersen) (06/29/87)

In article <1018@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> tytso@athena.mit.edu (Theodore Y. Ts'o)
writes:

>What version of tcsh is this?  The version that is running at Project
>Athena doesn't have this "feature".  As I've said before, I LIKE being
>able use the one-way trap door aspect of sym links.  I hope there's a
>flag to turn off this "feature".

RCS INFO
     Header = $Header: tcsh.1,v	1.1 85/02/11 21:28:15 paul Exp $

I don't know of any such flag, but you can always use ./.. if you want the
trap door aspect.

Regards
Carl-Lykke