[comp.unix.wizards] UUCP for PCs

GREIF@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (06/08/87)

Can anyone recommend a PC Unix with a UUCP that is known to work? (One
that has been installed and is in use as a server for an organization with
many email users.)

Thanks,

Irene Greif

Lotus Development Corporation
55 Cambridge Parkway
Camridge, MA 02142

greif@xx.lcs.mit.edu
phone: 617-225-1926

-------

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/11/87)

In article <7743@brl-adm.ARPA> GREIF@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Irene Greif) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a PC Unix with a UUCP that is known to work? (One
>that has been installed and is in use as a server for an organization with
>many email users.)

There are three systems I've used.

PC/IX - an old klunky Sys III implementation which has proved itself in
three years of service on numerous machines here. As a mail server it is
dead reliable. Limitations: 2 serial ports.

XENIX - supports multiple users, can use up to 16 lines. It will not
lose data with two 9600 baud connections coming in, I don't know about
more. The manual for 2.1.3 admits that the implementation is V7 rather
than SysV. Limitations: when calling out the BREAK in L.sys sends three
nulls rather than a real break. This won't reliably autobaud on some
systems. It may be fixed in 2.2. I'm told that Excelan ethernet stuff
doesn't run on 2.2, by a user who's giving me his Enet board. There may
be an upgrade, or you may not care.

V/AT - testing on two systems indicates that there may be problems losing
data input at high speeds. This can be shown by tying two ports at 9600
and using cu, or running uucp at 9600 to other machines. We are told
that this is not the case with "real IBM serial ports" (we're using AST
boards). Other symptoms are "tss: double panic" messages followed by
having to power down. Outside of cost and slots, you can only run IBM
serial ports for two lines. There may not be a problem at lower speeds,
etc.

If I were doing it and could live with two ports, I'd run PC/IX without
a doubt, just because it's so reliable. Other versions may be available
from Interactive Systems.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

hanley@cmcl2.UUCP (06/14/87)

Rumor has it that there exists a UUCP protocol emulator that runs under MS-DOS
that goes by the name of UUSLAVE or something like that.  Anyone out there
running UUCP under DOS?
					--John Hanley
					  System Programmer, Manhattan College
					  Researcher, NYU Ultracomputer Labs

brad@bradley.UUCP (06/15/87)

Also Check out VENIX ( I have Version 2.0, looks like V7) or you
can try IN/ix (From Interactive) which is System V for 8088/8086
machines. And has everything execpt for vitual deivce stuff and
shell layers (who needs them anyway on a PC).

Both work okay.  I haven't tried 2 machines talking at once.

Bradley Smith			UUCP: {cepu,ihnp4,noao,uiucdcs}!bradley!brad
Text Processing			ARPA: cepu!bradley!brad@UCLA-LOCUS
Bradley University		PH: (309) 677-2337
Peoria, IL 61625

wietse@eurifb.UUCP (06/19/87)

In article <16596@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, hanley@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (John Hanley) writes:
> Rumor has it that there exists a UUCP protocol emulator that runs under MS-DOS
> that goes by the name of UUSLAVE or something like that.  Anyone out there
> running UUCP under DOS?

Various versions of the uuslave program were posted near february/march.
Basically it is a file transfer program that runs on a pc and executes
requests from a remote (presumably unix) system. However, the pc cannot
generate work for the remote system. If that is not what you want it may
be of interest to know that we are currently working on a utility that
allows Ms-Dos users to create, send and receive email (using any reasonable
wordprocessor), and effectively turns a pc into a "non-routing uucp node".
I plan to post this somewhere in the second half of this year, but am
willing to mail a pre-release on request.

uucp:	mcvax!eutrc3!wswietse	Wietse Venema, Mathematics and Computer Science
bitnet:	wswietse@heithe5	Eindhoven University of Technology,
				The Netherlands

lauren@rand-unix.arpa (06/22/87)

readers have asked us to post rather lengthy technical descriptions of
our UULINK product to the net.  I don't feel that a lengthy posting would be
appropriate, but since there seems to be considerable interest in the
product from the community, here is a paragraph regarding its basic
capabilities.  If you wish more information please contact us directly--
please be sure to include a U.S. Mail address.  Thanks much.

---

UULINK provides a comprehensive UUCP/mail/file transfer, etc. package
for MS-DOS.  UULINK communications are compatible with standard UUCPs,
including support for "multiple-packet full-duplex/windowing" operations.
The package runs on MS-DOS systems on IBM-PC's or compatibles.
It provides both binary and ascii file transfer (spooled and/or direct,
with the work queued either locally or remotely), remote access, logging,
security controls, etc.  It can operate fully unattended for incoming
and/or outgoing calls (the latter through a built-in "cron" mechanism
and user-configurable dialing sequences).  It handles standard UUCP mail
messages, both single-hop and multiple-hop (i.e. it will act as an
intermediate UUCP mail forwarding node if desired).  It generates and handles
RFC 822 compatible headers (To:, From:, etc.), and includes support for
processing and routing domain style addresses (e.g. FOO@BAR.SITE.COM) as well
as conventional UUCP addresses.  Multiple users may have separate mailboxes
and related separate configuration specifications (editor choices, display
parameters, etc.) on the same UULINK node.  Its mail reading program allows
for header displays, message replies, forwarding of messages to others,
sorting mail to/from specific mail folders, etc.  The ability to send and
receive Usenet "netnews" articles is included.  UULINK provides both "local"
and "global" mail aliases, distribution (mailing) lists, and a wide variety
of other features.

---

--Lauren--   Vortex Technology
	     (213) 390-3920

mikes@apple.UUCP (Mike Shannon) (06/30/87)

I'm having trouble with what appears to be two different versions
of uucp, and I was wondering if anyone could clue me into the
history/flavors of uucp.
	I am using one system, which is an SV-flavor unix, which has
a 'uucico', which, when it begins running as a SLAVE, first emits
Shere=systemname

	In my alter ego, I am using an Ultrix-based bsd4.x, which has
a uucico, which, when it begins running as a SLAVE, first emits
Shere
	(i.e. no '=systemname')

	Now, I am unable to get these two systems to uucp together, and
I'm curious about this problem.  Are there multiple (incompatible) flavors
of uucp or uucico around?  (When I look in the LOGFILE, it says 'timed out',
which makes me suspect that the two uucico's observe incompatible protocols.)
	Apologies if this topic is old/trivial, but as far as I knew, there
are many revisions of uucp around, but I had thought they all talked to
each other.
	thanks,
	Mike Shannon (amdahl!apple!mikes)
--