[comp.unix.wizards] Ultrix 1.2 uudecode file owner problem

david@uhccux.UUCP (David Lassner) (07/02/87)

Ultrix 1.2 uudecode insists on creating files with root as the owner.  Is there
a common solution that we're missing?  We don't have sources.
--
David Lassner, University of Hawaii Computing Center, 808/948-7351
INTERNET: david@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU		ARPA:  uhccux!david@nosc.MIL

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (07/03/87)

In article <644@uhccux.UUCP> david@uhccux.UUCP (David Lassner) writes:
>Ultrix 1.2 uudecode insists on creating files with root as the owner.  Is there
>a common solution that we're missing?  We don't have sources.

uudecode is generally installed setuid to 'uucp', ostensibly so that
you can mail uuencoded files to the user 'decode' on your machine, and
have them decoded into the uucppublic spool directory.  It will create
the files as owned by whoever owns uudecode.  On my Ultrix 1.2 system,
the system installation stuff installed uudecode setuid to 'uucp'. If your
uudecode is owned by 'root', I'd change it pretty quick since it opens up
horrible security holes.  Better yet, if you don't care about mailing
files to 'decode', then take the setuid bit off of uudecode entirely.

--Pat.

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (07/03/87)

uudecode works correctly here.  The protection on it is 111 and it is
owned by uucp.  Now, we are running Ultrix 2.0, but I know that it
worked correctly under 1.2 here also.  Check your modes.

Fred

davew@gvgpsa.UUCP (Dave White) (07/03/87)

In article <644@uhccux.UUCP> david@uhccux.UUCP (David Lassner) writes:
>Ultrix 1.2 uudecode insists on creating files with root as the owner.  Is there
>a common solution that we're missing?  We don't have sources.
>--

Ultrix 1.2, as distributed, has uudecode file permissions set as 4755
(set UID on execution).  Do a "chmod 755 uudecode" while logged in as
root and this should solve your problem.
Dave White		Grass Valley Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1114   	Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP:	...!tektronix!gvgpsa!davew	PHONE:	+1 916 478 3052

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (07/03/87)

There is a solution ...

remove the setuid bits from /usr/bin/uudecode (or wherever it lives).
--
----- David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET, david@ms.uky.edu
----- (also "postmaster", "news" & etc.)