[comp.unix.wizards] ULTRIX

hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike S Marshall) (06/29/87)

I was talking on the phone to DEC direct the other day, & the person
I was talking to let it slip that DEC's plans were to eventually
discontinue ULTRIX. This surprises the (*&% out of me, has anyone else
heard anything about this?

-Mike Marshall         hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu       ...!hubcap!hubcap

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (06/30/87)

In article <235@hubcap.UUCP> hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike S Marshall) writes:
>I was talking on the phone to DEC direct the other day, & the person
>I was talking to let it slip that DEC's plans were to eventually
>discontinue ULTRIX. This surprises the (*&% out of me, has anyone else
>heard anything about this?
>
>-Mike Marshall         hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu       ...!hubcap!hubcap

I was in a meeting with one of the Ultrix product managers a week or two
ago, and he didn't seem to indicate any plans to discontinued Ultrix.  On
the contrary, they are quite active in development in the Ultrix product.

This is probably as close to the horse's mouth as you could get, 'cept for
probaly Ken himself.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) (07/01/87)

In article <235@hubcap.UUCP>, hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike S Marshall) writes:
> I was talking on the phone to DEC direct the other day, & the person
> I was talking to let it slip that DEC's plans were to eventually
> discontinue ULTRIX. This surprises the (*&% out of me, has anyone else
> heard anything about this?

We were treated to a grand tour of Maynard and environs last April, and
DEC knew we were interested in UNIX.  We given elaborate assurances
that Ultrix has the same priority as VMS in DEC now, and that they are
moving toward POSIX as that becomes well-defined.  We did indeed see
evidence of this at various departments, although there is a good deal of the
"DEC is VAX, VMS, Ethernet" still around.

Louis Schmittroth
Athabasca University    ...ihnp4!alberta!auvax!louis

> ...let it slip that DEC's plans were to eventually discontinue ULTRIX...

The thing to understand is that DEC really wanted VMS to be the only
operating system for the VAX, and they more or less got dragged kicking
and screaming into doing something about Unix support.  The fact that some
of the draggers were within DEC itself didn't make the draggees any happier.
My impression is that the situation tends to alternate between open warfare
and tense ceasefires.  In such a situation, even official policy is not
necessarily going to be stable from year to year.  Unofficial rumors can
say anything, and probably will.
--
Mars must wait -- we have un-         Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
finished business on the Moon.     {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

karl@grebyn.COM (Karl A. Nyberg) (07/04/87)

In article <8241@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> > ...let it slip that DEC's plans were to eventually discontinue ULTRIX...
>
> Unofficial rumors can say anything, and probably will.

Gosh, has anybody noticed how Ultrix 2.0 has some lower level features from
VMS (presumably to make it easier for the FEs)?  I suppose I can be an
unofficial rumor - would anybody believe me if I said that I expect VMS &
Ultrix to merge in some (perhaps distant) release?  Then DEC will be back to
one hardware, one operating system, ...

-- Karl --
DDN:	nyberg@ada20.isi.edu
INET:   karl@grebyn.com - AKA - karl%grebyn.com@seismo.css.gov