[comp.unix.wizards] CFP+ AND THE LINT PROGRAM

V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (07/06/87)

    Our system V 3B2-400 came with cfp+, an ATT product.  To invoke it
you type 'fpcc -options file.c' (not cc or mcc).  So in order to use lint
I altered the lint shell script to change all references to the c
compiler from 'cc' to 'fpcc'.  Now when I try to lint any source code
I get the following error:

lint: syntax error at line 158: `2' unexpected

the ident on lint is "@(#)/usr/bin/lint.s1 1.2 3.1 05/16/85 21061"

         Andy Wing  <V2002A@TEMPLEVM.BITNET>

In article <8177@brl-adm.ARPA> V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU writes:
>I altered the lint shell script to change all references to the c
>compiler from 'cc' to 'fpcc'.

Don't do this!  The only thing "cc" is used for in the "lint" script is
preprocessing (i.e. handling #-stuff).  Unless your "fpcc" uses a
different system header directory (i.e. not /usr/include), there is no
need to change "lint".  If "fpcc" DOES keep headers elsewhere, then
merely adjust the "lint" script to add the appropriate -Iwhatever option
to the "cc" command.