[comp.unix.wizards] Messages/News program for Suns

MANSFIEL%EMBL.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (06/29/87)

I'm looking for some facility that allows me to make
announcements to users of updates to the system, new
facilities, and general news items.

It seems there is a 'news' facility on SysV, but I can't
find anything equivalent on our SunOS 3.3 system.  (Someone
a while back mentioned a 'msgs' program - in the context of
replacing the motd file - but I haven't been able to reach
them).

Is such a facility available, and where can I get it?

Thanks in advance,

Niall

randy@ncifcrf.UUCP (The Computer Grue) (06/30/87)

In article <8082@brl-adm.ARPA>, MANSFIEL%EMBL.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Niall Mansfield) writes:

> I'm looking for some facility that allows me to make
> announcements to users of updates to the system, new
> facilities, and general news items.

    I've written a 'msgs' replacement for the suns (why didn't they
  provide it?  I don't know).  I'm sending it to the gnu foundation
  and it's copylefted the same as their stuff.  I'm willing to give
  copies to people, but if there's enough interest I'll simply post it
  to comp.sources.unix or comp.sources.misc (whichever'll have it).
  Anybody?

					-- Randy Smith

--
  Randy Smith    @	NCI Supercomputer Facility
  c/o PRI, Inc.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/04/87)

As quoted from <8082@brl-adm.ARPA> by MANSFIEL%EMBL.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Niall Mansfield):
+---------------
| It seems there is a 'news' facility on SysV, but I can't
| find anything equivalent on our SunOS 3.3 system.  (Someone
| a while back mentioned a 'msgs' program - in the context of
| replacing the motd file - but I haven't been able to reach
| them).
+---------------

A simple "news" program is in K&P (for non-initiates:  THE UNIX PROGRAMMING
ENVIRONMENT by Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike).  It's a shell script, but it
does most of what SysV "news" does, and translating to C shouldn't be too hard.

On the other hand, you can pull a few other things:

"rn general" (!)
ua (!!) -- use the bulletins for important stuff and the less important (or
specific to some department, or details of the bulletins, etc.) in the
message base
a shell script:

	cd /usr/bulletins
	find . -newer $HOME/.last_bulletins -exec echo bulletin: '{}' ';' -exec more '{}' ';'
	touch $HOME/.last_bulletins
	# this needs some work to be really useful
	# it is also a very cheap "news"

Necessity is the mother of invention.

++Brandon
--
       ---- Moderator for comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc ----
Brandon S. Allbery	<BACKBONE>!cbosgd!hal!ncoast!allbery ('til Aug. 1)

agm@warwick.UUCP (Andy Minter) (07/14/87)

In article <137@ncifcrf.UUCP> randy@ncifcrf.UUCP (The Computer Grue) writes:
>    I've written a 'msgs' replacement for the suns (why didn't they
>  provide it?  I don't know).  I'm sending it to the gnu foundation
>  and it's copylefted the same as their stuff.  I'm willing to give
>  copies to people, but if there's enough interest I'll simply post it
>  to comp.sources.unix or comp.sources.misc (whichever'll have it).
>  Anybody?
>
>					-- Randy Smith

I'd sure like a copy, how about posting it!

Andrew