[comp.unix.wizards] Bizzare, non repeatable, 4.3 C compiler behavior

mayer@rocksanne.UUCP (Jim Mayer) (07/16/87)

I have been having the following, rather bizzare, problem with the 4.3bsd
C compiler.  I get non repeatable compiler errors!  By non repeatable I
mean that if I reissue the same command, I will get a different error
or a successful compile.  The errors are usually of the form:

	compiler error in lib/ccom
or
	compiler error: couldn't find basic type 14 (or 4, or 10) for FOO

The behavior is rather bursty; sometimes it goes away, and sometimes it makes
it almost impossible to get any work done.  When the compiler completes
successfully it always seems to produce a good object file.

What really puzzles me is the non repeatable behavior of the problem.  I took
a brief look through the sources, and didn't find any obvious causes of
non repeatable behavior (calls to "time", "gettimeofday"; writes to temp files
that do not include the current pid, etc.).  It could be a file system or hardware
problem, but fsck seems to run fine.  Also, I recall having similar problems on
other UNIX machines (4.2 I believe) but never this frequently.

Has anybody else had this problem?  Do poltergeists really exist?

-- Jim
--
(Grapevine) mayer.wbst			(Arpa) mayer.wbst@Xerox.com
(NS) mayer:wbst128:xerox		(Phone) (716) 422-9407

ron@argus.UUCP (Ron DeBlock) (07/19/87)

In article <328@rocksanne.UUCP>, mayer@rocksanne.UUCP (Jim Mayer) writes:
> I have been having the following, rather bizzare, problem with the 4.3bsd
> C compiler.  I get non repeatable compiler errors!  By non repeatable I
> mean that if I reissue the same command, I will get a different error
> or a successful compile.  The errors are usually of the form:
>
> 	compiler error in lib/ccom
> or
> 	compiler error: couldn't find basic type 14 (or 4, or 10) for FOO
>

> Has anybody else had this problem?  Do poltergeists really exist?

Yes, on a 3B15 running sVr2.1.1.   We usually get complaints from the
assembler, and recompiling works just fine.  I believe we have a bad
block somewhere on the disk which occasionally is used in a temp file.
I have been unable to verify that, as fsck reports no problems.

There is another symptom possibly caused by the same problem: "leaky" pipes.
By leaky, I mean typing something like:
	who | sort
and getting someones C source code for output or nothing at all. This is also
intermittant.

--
Ron DeBlock	KA2IKT
	uucp: ...!siesmo!rugters!galaxy!andromeda!argus!ron

jsalmi@cs.D.UMN.EDU (John Salmi) (07/20/87)

In article <328@rocksanne.UUCP> mayer@rocksanne.UUCP (Jim Mayer) writes:
>I have been having the following, rather bizzare, problem with the 4.3bsd
>C compiler.  I get non repeatable compiler errors!  By non repeatable I
>mean that if I reissue the same command, I will get a different error
>or a successful compile.  The errors are usually of the form:
>
>	compiler error in lib/ccom
>or
>	compiler error: couldn't find basic type 14 (or 4, or 10) for FOO
>
>Has anybody else had this problem?  Do poltergeists really exist?
>
>-- Jim

I have experienced similar compiler errors on our sun 2/280, running sun's 3.3
version of 4.2.  As you stated above, a reissue of the command either results
in another error (in my case the errors have been the same), or the creation of
a good object file.  I thought that it was a local problem that was causing the
compiler to puke, since the hardware was acting a bit flaky.  But, there may now
be cause for further investigation...

---
	-john salmi
	-minnesota supercomputer center, inc.
	-minneapolis
	-internet:	john@umn-rei-uc.arpa  -or-  john@uc.msc.umn.edu
	-uucp:		{rutgers!meccts, ihnp4}!umn-cs!umnd-cs!jsalmi

	" instant asshole - just add alcohol... "J

jsalmi@cs.D.UMN.EDU (John Salmi) (07/20/87)

geez - feel foolish. i referred to our sun as a "2/280" rather that a "3/280".

i live for typos!

---
	-john salmi
	-minnesota supercomputer center, inc.
	-minneapolis

	- internet:	john@umn-rei-uc.arpa  -or-  john@uc.msc.umn.edu
	- uucp:		{rutgers!meccts, ihnp4}!umn-cs!umnd-cs!jsalmi

	" instant asshole - just add alcohol... "

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU.ucsc.edu (99700000) (07/20/87)

What all this suggests is that there might be a non-repeatable hardware
problem that doesn't show up except when the system is running normally.
We had a case a while back which happened to be a bad Ethernet controller.
It was apparently writing to addresses other than those of Ethernet buffers.
So a question is, is the system doing anything else strange besides the
c compiler problem?  If so, you probably have a hardware problem.  Diagnostics
probably won't show it, because they don't get all the peripherals moving
at once.  In our case the bad Ethernet controller worked fine when installed
in a diskless workstation, but would trash a multi-user system badly.

Then there was a problem back about Versin 6 where the C compiler had only
a very limited set of temp file names, so you could only do one compilation
at a time, but I guess that was fixed long before 4.3

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

jgy@hropus.UUCP (John Young) (07/21/87)

I've seen a similar (identical?) problem on 3b20's and
3b2's, always in /lib/ccom, since moving to the issue 4.0
C compiler on SVR2 on 3b2's we haven't seen the problem.