[comp.unix.wizards] /usr/ucb/mail, ULTRIX 1.2

hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike S Marshall) (07/17/87)

I've got mail set up so that when I invoke it and read a long message
(longer than 24 lines), the message is piped through more. I belive I
did this by saying "set crt=24" in my .mailrc file.

I have a question maybe someone out there knows the answer to:
  "Why can't I invoke vi by pressing "v" when using more from within
   mail?"

I know this feature works with other programs that pipe stuff through
more... for example, when you are reading a man page that is more than
a screen long, you can get into edit on the man file by pressing "v".

Thanks for any help... maybe you should mail to me & let me summarize
to the net if appropriate.

Mike Marshall   hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu      ...!hubcap!hubcap

greywolf@unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf @ ext 165) (07/22/87)

In article <316@hubcap.UUCP> hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike S Marshall) writes:
>I've got mail set up so that when I invoke it and read a long message
>(longer than 24 lines), the message is piped through more. I belive I
>did this by saying "set crt=24" in my .mailrc file.
>
>I have a question maybe someone out there knows the answer to:
>  "Why can't I invoke vi by pressing "v" when using more from within
>   mail?"
>
>I know this feature works with other programs that pipe stuff through
>more... for example, when you are reading a man page that is more than
>a screen long, you can get into edit on the man file by pressing "v".
>
>Thanks for any help... maybe you should mail to me & let me summarize
>to the net if appropriate.
>
>Mike Marshall   hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu      ...!hubcap!hubcap
-------
(I don't know node addresses that well...I cannot reply directly)

The Editing feature of more will work if executed on a file directly, i.e.,
"more foo", but if you type "cat foo | more", it won't work because you can't
edit a one-time only stream.  Since you are more-ing a stream, there is no
connecting file name to edit.  If you want to be able to do this, in your
.mailrc put the following:

set EDITOR=/usr/ucb/more 		# or the equivalent #

and if you want to really more the file, let it run through a screenful and
hit qe<cr>, whereupon it will invoke more upon MessageX, where X is the number
of the current message.   Note, also, that if you make any modifications to
MessageX, it will be saved back into your save file or your mbox or your
system mailbox as you edited it (it gets read back in).

Faster than pure assembly code...
	More powerful than kill -9...
		able to unmount busy file systems in a single call...
								 ______
	it's a (long) word...					/ |  | \
	it's a (back)plane...					\=#==#=/
								 \|  |/