[comp.unix.wizards] Dumps on active file systems

dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois) (07/25/87)

I intend to begin doing the incremental dumps on my system during
the wee hours of the night.   (Vax 8200, Ultrix 1.2).  Although I
don't expect much machine activity at 3 in the morning, the file
systems will still techically be active (no single-user/umount/reboot
sequence, in other words).  What kinds of problems might I reasonably
expect, should I ever need to restore one of these dumps?  Anything
serious?  Or just minor inconsistencies?  Or not even that?

---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!rhesus!dubois    |
                ARPA: dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu              --+--

"My help does not come from the hills"                              |
                      Psalm 121:1

mitch@stride1.UUCP (Thomas P. Mitchell) (07/29/87)

In article <227@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu> dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu
(Paul DuBois) writes:
>I intend to begin doing the incremental dumps on my system during
>the wee hours of the night.   (Vax 8200, Ultrix 1.2).  Although I
>don't expect much machine activity at 3 in the morning,
				    ^^^^
Check to see what cron does in the wee hours. Then schedule your 'at'
or 'crontab' dump command files to miss the late night rush hours
On my system 3 and 4 are not good times to start a 'dump' but 3:30 or
4:30 would be fine.  You should also let your users know so they can
avoid that time for work they schedule.

>serious?  Or just minor inconsistencies?  Or not even that?
			  ^^^^^^ some
Dump (there are more than one version out there) will commonly work
on the raw device.  First building a list of things to be backed up
and their real location.  Later it does the reads.  If at the time
of the reads something of value changed -- well it might be a real mess.

Thomas P. Mitchell (mitch@stride1.Stride.COM)
Phone:	(702) 322-6868 TWX:	910-395-6073
MicroSage Computer Systems Inc. a Division of Stride Micro.
Opinions expressed are probably mine.