[net.music] CD length

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (10/02/85)

>There is no reason (as far as I know) why a full double album can't be put
>on a single CD. My understanding is that the full capacity of a CD (one sided)
>is 4 or 5 hours. That's considering, of course, that it is used to absolute
>full capacity. So the POLAND album on CD is probably complete, even though it
>is only a on a single disc.
>

>				      Barth Richards
>				      Tellabs, Inc.
>				      Lisle, IL

Wrongo! A CD can only be about seventy-five minutes (I believe), and the
exact time was set by Sony because they wanted to be able to put all of
Beethoven's ninth (or was it the fifth?) on one CD.

Here's to good ol' Ludwig Van!

					Paul Guthrie

dvw@petrus.UUCP (Dan V. Wilson) (10/03/85)

> >There is no reason (as far as I know) why a full double album can't be put
> >on a single CD. My understanding is that the full capacity of a CD (one sided)
> >is 4 or 5 hours. That's considering, of course, that it is used to absolute
> >full capacity. So the POLAND album on CD is probably complete, even though it
> >is only a on a single disc.
> >

> >				      Barth Richards
> >				      Tellabs, Inc.
> >				      Lisle, IL
>
> Wrongo! A CD can only be about seventy-five minutes (I believe), and the
> exact time was set by Sony because they wanted to be able to put all of
> Beethoven's ninth (or was it the fifth?) on one CD.
>
> Here's to good ol' Ludwig Van!
>
> 					Paul Guthrie

Paul is correct.  The longest CD I know of is one of Beethoven's Ninth
Symphony, recorded by Wilhelm Furtwaengler at the Bayreuth Festival in
1951.  It is available from both EMI-England and EMI-Japan, and is
74 minutes 40 seconds in length.

(*Flame On*) I find it VERY irritating that manufacturers, especially
in the classical area, tend to issue CDs that are no longer than LPs.
I have at least one set of three CDs where the material could easily
have been issued on two, with less damage to my wallet.  GRRRR!!!!
(*Flame Off*)

						Dan Wilson
						dvw@bellcore.ARPA (or UUCP)

danb@tesla.UUCP (Dan Blumenthal) (10/04/85)

In article <342@ihdev.UUCP> pdg@ihdev.UUCP (55224-P. D. Guthrie) writes:
>>There is no reason (as far as I know) why a full double album can't be put
>>on a single CD. My understanding is that the full capacity of a CD (one sided)
>>is 4 or 5 hours. That's considering, of course, that it is used to absolute
>>full capacity. So the POLAND album on CD is probably complete, even though it
>>is only a on a single disc.
>>

>>				      Barth Richards
>>				      Tellabs, Inc.
>>				      Lisle, IL
>
>Wrongo! A CD can only be about seventy-five minutes (I believe), and the
>exact time was set by Sony because they wanted to be able to put all of
>Beethoven's ninth (or was it the fifth?) on one CD.
>
>Here's to good ol' Ludwig Van!
>
>					Pau  Guthrie

An example of a cut double album put onto CD is Prince's 1999
which has a note (in small print) on the back, thatin order to fit
the album on 1 CD, the song DMSR is not on it. Although I'm not a
Prince fan, I think that was a rather stupid choice, since it was
one of the songs that got airplay and (I think) was in a movie soundtrack.

In case people are interested, I think there is something called the
Compact Disk Group. The local phone is (212) 355-0011 but I think there
is also an 800 number. Call information to find it. They're sending me
a CD catalog, and also have people to answer questions on the industry,
although it didn't seem standard practice to put them on the phone.
This person said that EMI was planning a CD plant for mid-86 but also
wasn't willing to say that CD prices would come down that much.

BTW, I got this phone number from the net, but when I asked if anyone
else had called and mentioned USENET, they said no.

Enjoy.

Dan

asente@Cascade.ARPA (10/07/85)

In article <621@petrus.UUCP> dvw@petrus.UUCP (Dan V. Wilson) writes:
>(*Flame On*) I find it VERY irritating that manufacturers, especially
>in the classical area, tend to issue CDs that are no longer than LPs.
>I have at least one set of three CDs where the material could easily
>have been issued on two, with less damage to my wallet.  GRRRR!!!!
>(*Flame Off*)

This isn't always the case--many operas are released on fewer CDs than
LPs.  In fact, many CD versions of operas are very price competitive with
LPs because of this:  3 CDs vs. 4 LPs = 3 x $13 vs 4 x $8.

	-paul asente
	    asente@Cascade.ARPA		decwrl!Glacier!Cascade!asente