[comp.unix.wizards] Size of "Byte"

amos@nsta.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (07/20/87)

In article <142700011@tiger.UUCP> rjd@tiger.UUCP writes:
>  I HAVE AN IDEA!!! Lets look it up........ (turning pages on my Webster's):
>
>byte - n. [arbitrary formation, < BITE ] a string of binary digits, usually
>    eight, operated on as a basic unit by a digital computer.

Keep reading! (at least in the edition I have):
... The term was formed by a shortened pronounciation of the words 'by eight'...
So 8-bit bytes are more 'natural' somehow.

--
	Amos Shapir			(My other cpu is a NS32532)
National Semiconductor (Israel)

In article <315@nsta.UUCP> amos%nsta@nsc.com (Amos Shapir) writes:
>... The term was formed by a shortened pronounciation of the words 'by eight'...

I doubt that very much!

zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) (07/24/87)

In article <6143@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <315@nsta.UUCP> amos%nsta@nsc.com (Amos Shapir) writes:
>>... The term was formed by a shortened pronounciation of the words 'by eight'...
>
>I doubt that very much!

Me too.  Particularly since my PDP-8 has two bytes per word.
And the word on the PDP-8 is 12 bits long.
--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corporation

root@cit5.oz (Admin) (07/31/87)

I looked up the "Collins English Dictionary - Australian Edition" and the
definition provided is.....

byte   n.  Computer technol.  1. a sequence of bits, usually six or eight,
	processed as a single unit of information.  2. the storage space in
	a memory or other storage device that is allocated to one character.
	3. a subdivision of a word. [C20: probably a blend of BIT + BITE]

As everyone can see, the definition really depends on the "opinion" of the
author(s) of the dictionary, as it does on the "opinion" of various
computer people. :-)
			Steve.