[comp.unix.wizards] What is the protocol that micro-vaxen use to boot from ether.

brian@ms.uky.edu (Brian Sturgill) (07/31/87)

I would like to make a server under 4.3BSD to allow micro-vaxen to
boot from their qe's. Does anyone know the protocol used by the bootstrap
ROM? Better yet has anyone already done it?

Thanks,

           Brian Sturgill          System Manager
   University of Kentucky Departments of Mathematical Sciences
        brian@ms.uky.edu                brian@ms.uky.csnet
        {uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!brian       brian@UKMA.BITNET

jjo@calmasd.GE.COM (Jay Olson) (07/31/87)

In article <6978@e.ms.uky.edu> brian@ms.uky.edu (Brian Sturgill) writes:
>I would like to make a server under 4.3BSD to allow micro-vaxen to
>boot from their qe's. Does anyone know the protocol used by the bootstrap
>ROM? Better yet has anyone already done it?

The protocol is called MOP - Maintenance Operations Protocol. MOP is part
of DNA - the Digital Network Architecture (aka DECnet). Specifications for
DNA are available from DEC. If you have access to the VMS microfiche, the
source for the MicroVAX II boot ROM is there. MOP is fairly simple, so you
should be able to figure it out from the fiche.

				Jay Olson
				consultant working at GE Calma
				San Diego, CA
				...sdcsvax!calmasd!jjo