[comp.unix.wizards] DIAL-IN PORTS FOR THE 3B2-400

V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (07/27/87)

Hi,

     One of my users will be needing dial-in access to our 3B2 and
an electronic bulletin board system.  What would be the best choice
for a dial in modem for the following situation:

         - Four or eight ports
         - (relative) Immunity from surges and spikes on the phone lines
         - 300/600/1200/2400 baud
         - software control by unix shell or c programs
         - small footprint (we have no machine room for the 3B, it's
           sitting on a desk!)

     I already asked about BBS software and was told about Uniaccess and
Pico-span.  Any experiences/adventures/advice with dial-in HW/SW would
be appreciated.
     We currently have an 8 port Racal-Vadic on our PDP but it's only
1200 baud and must be rack mounted.
     This system will (possibly) be used by a majority of the Pharmacists
in the state of PA so room for easy expansion is another consideration.

     Thanks!     Andy Wing  <V2002A@TEMPLEVM.BITNET>

root@conexch.UUCP (Super user) (08/02/87)

In article <8499@brl-adm.ARPA>, V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU writes:
[...]
>      I already asked about BBS software and was told about Uniaccess and
> Pico-span.  Any experiences/adventures/advice with dial-in HW/SW would
> be appreciated.

You'll find the source code to the best BBS system yet available for Un*x
available for download on the author's machine at (714) 828-0288.  It's
called XBBS and it supports up to 99 message bases, up to 99 file areas,
and facilities to run shell programs and access the OS directly.  It's
running under uPORT, Xenix, and Un*x on 3b2's through 3b20's.  Give him
a call voice at (714) 828-0286 if you'd rather he mailed the code to you.

>      Thanks!     Andy Wing  <V2002A@TEMPLEVM.BITNET>

You're welcome.

Best Regards,
Larry Dighera
--
Larry Dighera:
The Consultants' Exchange BBS: (714) 842-6348: IBM-PC BBS