[comp.unix.wizards] How to add partition table under ULTRIX 2.0

dcw@ecsvax.UUCP (Douglas C. Wilson) (08/05/87)

	We have just brought up ULTRIX 2.0 on a Vaxstation II. There
has been a change made in the way MSCP devices are identified by the
uda driver.  In ULTRIX 1.2 partition tables were easily added to the
driver by inserting the appropriate data into "struct size" in
/sys/data/uda_data.c and then inserting the last two digits of the MSCP
device identifier into the structure radfpt[].  For example for the
RD54 drive the line in radfpt looked like:
		54,	rd54_sizes,	/* RD54 disk drive */
I added a line for an Iomega Bernoulli drive on an Emulex SCSI
controller 	10,	im10_sizes,	/* IM10 disk drive */
This worked great for 1.2.

In version 2.0 the radfpt[] structure has been changed to include
further info for identification of the device.
		0x25644036,	rd54_sizes, ...
I have figured out the last 5 hex digits from comparing the drives listed.
	44= ascii "D" for the rD drive
	036 = 54 since it is a "54" drive
What are the first 3 digits, 256.  They are different for a number of
the drives listed in the table.  A number of choices for my
IM10 drive fail to allow the driver to identify the drive.

HELP!!

Douglas C. Wilson	dcw@ecsvax
Dept. of Chemistry	University of NC	Chapel Hill, NC  27514
--

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/06/87)

In article <3653@ecsvax.UUCP> dcw@ecsvax.UUCP (Douglas C. Wilson) writes:
> 		0x25644036,	rd54_sizes, ...
> I have figured out the last 5 hex digits from comparing the drives listed.
> 	44= ascii "D" for the rD drive
> 	036 = 54 since it is a "54" drive

You are on the right track, but the encoding is not ASCII.  The
magic number 0x25644036 is the `media ID' as returned by Get Unit
Status commands.  It is made up of five 5-bit fields and one 7-bit
field.  The 5-bit fields encode either a blank (0) or one uppercase
letter in A..Z (1-26); 0x25644036 expands to `DU' `RD '.  The last
seven bits represent the drive number, here 54.  Since RA81s are
`DU' `RA ' 81, I get 0x25641051.

I do not know why DEC uses this media ID field instead of the (more
sensible to me) drive type identifier also found in Get Unit Status
end messages.
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris