[comp.unix.wizards] Booting MVAXII from Secondary Device

cathy@larry.UUCP (Cathy Accettura) (08/07/87)

We have a MVAXII and would like to boot from a secondary
device (disk).  The MVAX II is running BSD 4.3.  I have
not been able to find anything in the documentaion that
tells me how to do this.  The address of the disk we
normally boot from is 172150 and this secondary disk
is configured at 160334.  I have some local documentation
from a former system person that says to use B DUB0.
This does not work.

Can any one point me in the proper direction on this.
I am looking for any documentation or refernce to this
in the source.

Cathy Accettura
Space Astronomy Lab

cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu

zyg@geovision.UUCP (Zygmunt Wiercioch) (08/13/87)

In article <292@larry.UUCP> cathy@larry.UUCP (Cathy Accettura) writes:
>We have a MVAXII and would like to boot from a secondary
>device (disk). The address of the disk we normally boot from is 172150
>and this secondary disk is configured at 160334.
>Can any one point me in the proper direction on this.

We have tried do something similar (Ultrix on one, VMS on another) and were
unable to do it.  The information we got from DEC and SI was that a mVAX
will not boot from a secondary disk controller.  You can boot from a second
disk (b dua1), but the disk has to be on the primary controller.

--
 Zygmunt Wiercioch    UUCP: ...!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!geovision!zyg