[comp.unix.wizards] DEC DEUNA interface

cpw%sneezy@lanl.gov (C. Philip Wood) (08/17/87)

On August 5, our milnet host/gateway which is configured like:

Name  Mtu   Ipkts   Ierrs Opkts   Oerrs Collis
imp0  1006  522915  0     255326  0     4
il0   1500  92210   0     98523   0     17
de0   1500  768926  0     583036  0     464
hsd0  25960 40696   0     37261   0     2
hsp0  1006  563601  0     299209  0     0
lo0   1536  0       0     0       0     0

was doing fine except for the 'de0' which when asked to send a packet
would return the ENOBUFS error.  The ifqueue for this device was full.
It stayed in this state, while the other devices continued to function.
We had to reboot the system to continue doing business.  Its as if
there was no mechanism to wakeup and attempt to drain the queue once it
filled up.  Any ideas on why this happened, and what to do about it?

-Phil Wood (cpw@lanl.gov)

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/18/87)

In article <8821@brl-adm.ARPA> cpw%sneezy@lanl.gov (C. Philip Wood) writes:
>... doing fine except for the 'de0' which when asked to send a packet
>would return the ENOBUFS error.  The ifqueue for this device was full.
>It stayed in this state, while the other devices continued to function.

I have seen this too, though only on a Vax 8600.  I now suspect a
hardware problem, possibly like the carry chain timing problem in
785s, in the Unibus/DW780/SBIA/Abus logic chain dealing with
interrupts, as this 8600 also loses interrupts on its UDA50s (it
has two at present; both lose interrupts under heavy massbuss and
ethernet interrupt load).  The same DEUNA and one other one have
been working well on two Vax 8250s (for all of four days on one,
and about 2 weeks on the other).
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris